1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OUTING 2011 -- UPDATED WITH A WINNER

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Re: OUTING 2011

Have zero interest in Denver, but I suppose there are worse places. Minneapolis? Hmmm ...

Wicked, I suppose a mini-outing could still be staged in NYC. It's what our Canadian friends, patchs, et al are planning in Buffalo and sounds as if it will carry on because of their camaraderie and to honor S-P.

2. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Maybe a reunion of those of us who made it to NYC in 07 and other regional interlopers?

My interest in Midwest cities mentioned: 1. Chicago, 2. Denver, 3. Minneapolis

3. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I've never been to one, but would definitely go if it were in Denver. I remember two years ago it announced this summer's was going to be in Denver, and honestly, I've been hoping that's what happens.

My gut reaction is that planning it would be over my head — I live three hours away — but I could maybe be convinced otherwise.

And Denver is sweet. The ballpark area is just a fantastic place to drink heavily.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I know K.C. had been floated as a possibility for this year at one point. I'd think it'd be cheaper to fly into Denver/Minny, tho, given their hub statuses.

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

K.C. would be nice.

Could Cincy be up for consideration in the future?

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I'd host Nashville or Memphis if Denver, Minneapolis or other places fall through. The Sounds are the Brewers' AAA affiliate in Nashville, while the Redbirds are the Cards' AAA franchise. Plenty of nightlife to go around in each city, though Nashville is much nicer, obviously.

Edit: Or, we could make either one of those an unofficial gathering if there is support.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I think I'd also drive to KC, Cincy or Indy. Maybe even Chicago.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

If it was in Cincy, I'd be willing to co-host it with someone else.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I've heard nothing but great things about Denver, which is why I want to go there. We could also move Denver to 2012.

YF, Chicago has possibilities. Send me a PM, get in touch. Your Chicagos, NYs and Bostons tend to be too expensive but maybe with your connections we can make it work. I know I would LOVE to hang out a day or two in that bar scene near Wrigley. My other concern with some of the stadiums - Wrigley included - is ticketing. The teams we've seen aren't exactly high demand.

Last August, I flew into Chicago for Big Ten media days. White Sox were home Sunday so I went to see them play the As. Cubs were home Monday against the Brewers and I went to see that.

Chicago is a great town.

I could be talked into Cincy, too, though Ohio two years in a row is not ideal. We like to spread it around to offer people in different regions a chance to go to one that may not be as far away as some others.

Dates are totally up to the host. It is impossible to pick a date that works for everyone so the host picks the date that works best for him/her and everyone has to deal with it.

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Which did you like better as far as the gameday experience?

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The Cell was a much better place than I expected. Very nice stadium, just kind of out there with nothing else. It was hot and I wasn't feeling well but it was a much better game than I saw the next day (18-1 Brewers). Wrigley is way cool and all that and what a great neighborhood. So I'd give it the edge but the edge was not as significant as I would have guessed going in.

12. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Chicago has the food down pat. Dogs, pizza, Italian beef, that place with the insane burgers named after metal bands. That's my vote. ps i am fat

Draft saved Draft deleted