1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OUTING 2011 -- UPDATED WITH A WINNER

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

No, there isn't one set yet. I was asked about it again today and it reminded me I needed to post something.

I am looking for someone wiling to host in Minneapolis or Denver. Those are the top two choices. But, at this point, I'll take someone willing to host just about anywhere. I think previous hosts will back me up here. Hosting is not a huge pain in the ass. There's some work involved but not an overwhelming amount. Basically you pick the dates, make a deal with a hotel (people book on their own) and buy the baseball tickets. You are not responsible for non-baseball entertainment.

I've done it twice and have had NO problems getting every cent owed for tickets in a prompt manner. These are good people on here.

I've been on three of the outings and had a blast at all three. Still angry I had to miss the two I had to miss but it couldn't be helped.

Someone take the lead and let's get this done. PM me.

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Re: OUTING 2011

Do you think the New York-in-honor-of-spnited idea sounds reasonable?

It'd probably end up with people scattered between different hotels, which might be an issue, and it would be east again, but if that's where most of the people are ...

(And yes, I'd be willing to help organize a NYC outing, but I don't have the time or energy to do it all.)

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'm trying to book my regular NY summer trip and don't think I can afford that. I sure wouldn't mind going up for an "honored spnited" game - but not sure about a full outing. Spnited and I were going to do a Nats game this year in DC when the Mets visited. I'm still going and I'm leaving his seat empty.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Just was throwing it out there since it was discussed on that thread.

Would love to know soon where we're going, so I can book some tickets.

5. HC

HC Well-Known Member

We were supposed to meet spnited for a Bisons game in Buffalo and there has been some discussion of keeping that date in his honour. A few folk have signed on but nothing is definite.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I've never been to Minny or Denver. Trying to get my credit straightened out so I can buy a house, so don't know if I can afford either, but I sure would try my damndest.

Someone step up!

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

So you're saying that thousands of Nats fans honor Spnited every game? (ducking)

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Denver's great. Haven't been to Minneapolis, but would like to go -- especially now that they have a new, outdoor stadium.

If no one steps up in either city, I'd be willing to host in Chicago (though I know you had one here a couple of years ago).

I have some hotels that are customers, so I could probably get a good rate. We'd have to decide between Cubs & Sox

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Or hit both on back-to-back days.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah, I thought about that and I'd have to look at the schedule to see when that's possible. For a weekend outing, it might be tough.

There's probably only one weekend where they're both in town. Otherwise, you'd have to do a Thursday/Friday or a Sunday/Monday to do both.

11. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Chicago's never had one, or at least not an official one

2005: Washington
    2006: Toronto
    2007: Dallas (cancelled; unofficial outing in New York)
    2008: Seattle
    2009: Baltimore
    2010: Cleveland
    2011: TBD

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I think Chicago was considered for 2007, but Dallas was awarded the bid.

I'm planning on being in Chicago in late July for a family gathering, anyway, and I'd love a reason to get away from them to pull off both in one trip.

Draft saved Draft deleted