1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Outing 2009 - now taking applications

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, May 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The Seattle hosts have been exceptional in their planning and it looks like we'll have our biggest outing yet. Hard to believe it is No. 4 and three of them will qualify as successes. That's better than many figured when we started.

Anyway, we move back east for 2009. I'm half tempted to do it again myself since D.C. has a new stadium but we've been there and done that. The whole idea is to see new places.

So I need a volunteer(s) for 2009 in a city in the east. Boston? Fun but tix would be impossible. New York? Expensive and tix may be tough with the new stadiums. Baltimore, Philadelphia, Atlanta *** those three are probably our best bets. I'll consider Cleveland and Detroit but those fit better with the 2010 plan.

The host(s) is in charge of picking a weekend - the only requirement is there is baseball - finding a hotel and arranging for ticket purchases. They are not required to find alternate entertainment.

PM me if you are interested.

ps - I hope this year's hosts don't take offense at me using an alternate hotel. It's a points thing and a money-saving thing. I'm less than a mile away!

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

How about Pittsburgh?

3. Moderator1

Yeah, them, too. Thanks.

You in?? You have experience.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I'd throw in Chicago, too. Central.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Chicago would be Midwest, which is 2010.

6. joe

joe Active Member

I vote for Philly. I've never been there, and Atlanta traffic is a nightmare. Plus, lots of cultural stuff to do in Philly besides watching the Fightin's play.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Has the IOC awarded the Outing Games to anyone for 2011?

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Good Oriole tickets are easier to score, these days. Philly park's really nice, though.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's a tough call, but I'm gonna have to go with Cleveland.

10. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

With Philly... if you have enough people with cars, in addition to hitting a Phillies game, you can go across the Delaware and hit an independent league game with the Camden Riversharks (their park provides a great view of the Philly skyline) or just to the north where you can take in a AA Yankees game at the home of the Trenton Thunder. Atlantic City is also an hour, maybe an hour and a half drive.

11. Moderator1

Philly's stadium is my favorite if you can overlook the fact that the Phillies play there.
    Pittsburgh is a great option, too.
    Still no host volunteers. That'll go a long way toward determining where we go.

If no one volunteers, I may step up and do Atlanta. I know that burg well enough to get around. Same with Baltimore. The Inner Harbor is great but rooms will NOT be cheap.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Nah, no Toronto. I want to go somewhere.

HC will be doing her show so she won't be able to come, wherever it is.

If it were a choice between Atlanta and Baltimore, I'd rather do Baltimore although it'll be stinkin' hot in either place.

And hell, if it were in Baltimore, we could meet Omar for drinks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.