1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Outer Banks in N.C.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Frank_Ridgeway, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Yeah Frank, it's a haul. If you'd like to do something a little different than Charleston I'd second the thought that you might want to drive up to Wilmington. Nice, quiet beaches there and you can go into town and get a pretty decent meal.

2. John

John Well-Known Member

The good and the bad of the Outer Banks is that it's pretty much a long way from everywhere.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

We are headed there this weekend (fortunate enough to know people who give us a condo anytime we want in the offseason).

Are these still good spots?

Where can you go to buy good seafood now that Fing Harris Teeter took over the Seamart?

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Awful Arthur's Oyster Bar (kill Devil Hills) was by far my favorite place when I visited. Raw bar heaven.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Watch out for the oil spill.

6. 93Devil

We are more worried about all the Global Warming fed hurricanes. :)

7. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Awful Arthur's rocks.

8. 93Devil

Headed back again on Friday for a few days.

Any other ideas?

My wife is excited to go to Owen's. She has been talking about it for weeks.

9. I was talking to a local (here) Dr. who told me there is abandoned island below Ocracoke. He went there to paint and said (this was about 20 years ago) it had about three inhabitants.
    There is no ferry to island. You have to charter a boat. But he said it is peace and quiet and pretty cool with a lot of abandoned buildings.

10. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Sam & Omies is always a stop for us. We were down there a few weeks ago, and the fishing must have been pretty slow this spring, because the market price for crabcakes was quite high.

11. Cafe 12, used to be the Pickled Steamer, in Avon ... .15 cent steamed shrimp everyday from 4-6 p.m.

12. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Portsmouth Island. I've never been there, but unless you're staying in Ocracoke, it would probably be a rushed day trip. I've spent a day at Cape Lookout, on what I guess is the southern end of the island (maybe it's two islands), and would go back again in an instant.

Draft saved Draft deleted