1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Outer Banks in N.C.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Frank_Ridgeway, Apr 19, 2007.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Kitty Hawk, buncha lighthouses. The North Carolina Aquariums aren't bad ...

2. John

John Well-Known Member

For most of the year, I loved living on the Outer Banks, but it gets way too crowded in the summer because there is only one way in/out from the south and one way in/out from the north, with one main road connecting everything. If I was going to visit in the summer, I'd probably try to find a house in Avon -- between Nags Head and Cape Hatteras -- where there isn't much going on.

Among my favorite Outer Banks restaurants:

Nags Head
    Red Drum Tap House -- By far my favorite place. Get the tuna burrito.
    Tortuga's Lie -- Get the crab cakes

Kill Devil Hills
    Chilli Peppers -- Really good; you can but some of their hot sauces
    Outer Banks Brewing Station -- Good beer, good food

3. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Think fmrsped might be able to help you out, too.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I got kin in Edenton and Hertford, so I've been to the OBX several times, but day trips only, so can't help you on cabins.

I was there last while they were moving the Hatteras lighthouse because of eroding beach. They jacked that thing up on a big Caterpillar and hauled it a half-mile inland.

5. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

MHC: Very familiar with the place. Good place to spend the week. But if I wanted to go somewhere isolated, I'd jump the ferry and head to Ocracoke.

6. John

John Well-Known Member

Best surfing on the East Coast is at the jetty right in front of where the lighthouse used to sit.

7. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what you'll find in the OBX that you won't find in Charleston, other than maybe Cape Hattaras.

We spent a month there one week. Seriously, that's how it felt. A tropical storm flooded our street, essentially holding us hostage from Wednesday through Sunday when we finally fired up the car and held our breath as we navigated the street.

8. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

I just got back from charleston and Kiawah Island. Kiawah was good, but pricey. I guess all those places are.
    I recommend Hanks seafood in Charleston

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Lots of places down near Wilmington, much closer, just as nice.

10. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Hey 2under,

Sure hope you didn't spend all that money you'll owe me after we get off the links 6 weeks from today.

11. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

I've been to Duck, etc. and Avon, although that was 15 years ago and I can't tell you much about the place. My brother usually rents a house in Emerald Island, which is about 50 miles northeast of Wilmington. Very restful. It's a long day's drive from Michigan, and, being in August, totally screws my work schedule, and I never miss the trip. Rumor has it, though that there won't be a trip this year, and I'm kind of bummed. We don't do the nightlife thing, but plenty of stuff with the nieces and nephews. Good bonding time for kids I don't see but only a couple times a year. There are some nice restaurants, but I enjoy the huge slices at Michelangelo's pizza in Emerald Isle. But that's me.

12. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice. We did not realize it was that far from Charleston.

Draft saved Draft deleted