1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Outer Banks in N.C.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Frank_Ridgeway, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

We are thinking of going there for a day or two while on vacation in Charleston (where we've been many times). Suggestions? We know virtually nothing about the area.

2. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Google Ocracoke Island.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I went there for a week in August (Duck) about 10 years ago and had a great time, although it got very hot that week. Most of the rental houses are really nice, too. If you go (and you like raw bar), do yourself a favor and go to Awful Arthur's Oyster Bar. Amazing, fun place. I think it's in Kill Devil Hills. Also worthwhile is a trip to Roanoke Island to see the Lost Colony production in a huge ampitheater. Also, Kitty Hawk and some cool kite shops and whatnot. I forget the highway that takes you into the Outer Banks, but be prepared for a long traffic jam if you're coming in or leaving on a Saturday morning.

4. I don't know which direction you're coming from, but keep in mind that the Outer Banks are really far away from Charleston (I'm assuming you mean SC). Almost 500 miles. If that's too far away (and also keep in mind that the Outer Banks are about 150 miles from I-95 ... so you won't be doing 75mph on the last leg of your trip there), you might want to try Savannah.

5. John

John Well-Known Member

I lived out there for two years. PM me with any questions.

6. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

The Fisherman's Oasis restaurant at the Nags Head/Manteo Causeway is outstanding and some of the best Caribbean food I had was at Goombay's in Kill Devil Hills.

Love love love the Outer Banks. Forget Charleston - the Outer Banks are a trip in itself. It is one of the most relaxing places I have ever visited. I had plenty of good times down in KDH and Nags Head during summers off from college.

7. Agreed. There's really no good way to get from Charleston, SC to OBX that won't eat up almost all of a day's travel.

That being said, if you're really gung ho on going to the Outer Banks for a two day vacation, you might want to check out The Sanderling hotel in Currituck Sound (on the northern edge of Duck). Last summer, my family spent a week in Duck in a rented house. Nice place, good beach, and we had a great time, but at least as far as Duck is concerned, I think it's overpriced for what you get. KDH or Nag's Head might offer more bang for the buck, but again, there's no go way to get in and out of there.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Wow, I had no idea it was that far from Charleston. My wife and I are also annual Charleston visitors and in the market for a vacation spot nearby, but a 1000-mile round trip doesn't sound too relaxing to me.

9. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

Ms. Bobcat and her family drove from Ohio to Nags Heads (her parents still do) and loved the trip and the vacation every year. Don't know too many details, but she still raves about it.

Maybe we'll get over there at some point.

10. In Charleston, though, try The Wreck, in Mount Pleasant, and Diana's Restaurant, in Charleston. The former is hard to find ... it's an old fish locker in a nice neighborhood (106 Haddrell Point), and there's no sign. The latter is in a Days Inn downtown, a few blocks from the ocean. Don't let that fool you, though. Really great breakfast.

In NC, my aunt and uncle make an annual trip to Morehead City, which is near Wilmington. They've been doing it ever since I can remember. It's near the Interstate and it would be much easier stop off for a couple of days there than the OBX, especially if you have kids.

11. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I went to the Outer Banks for a week last year with a couple friends. We got a condo, I woke up to an ocean view every day from my bed, and we wandered around town aimlessly. I would love to go back.

12. If you're looking for something that's isolated (i.e., you're looking to relax and veg out for a week), try Edisto Island. It's about 45 minutes from Charleston if you need some time in civilization. There are lots of houses, but no real commercial development. A couple of restaurants. A marginal Piggly Wiggly that's always packed. There isn't even a hotel, if I remember correctly. My brother said Dale Jr. has a house there. It's the kind of place where you pack the car full of groceries, books, DVDs and forget the world for a week.

Draft saved Draft deleted