1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Outdoors writer may face charges

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HanSenSE, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It was a takeoff from a scene in "My Cousin Vinny".

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The guy was an outdoors writer and it was his first time hunting?

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Never mind pretending your a deer. In some places, that happens to human beings, too.

4. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Well, I can appreciate a "My Cousin Vinny" reference, I just didn't remember that scene. And Marisa Tomei? Yum.

5. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

Oh, and you blend?

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Good thing this wasn't in Wisconsin. A different animal crime would've been in play.

(And the second My Cousin Vinny reference of the day on this board. Nice.)

7. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Hiring someone for this position who never has hunted means the management is pretty fucking stupid.

"Mainstreaming" ... excellent. Very nicely done.

8. lesboulez

lesboulez Member

plenty of football writers who've never played football...

9. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

A while back, my former paper's outdoor writer did a piece about the state re-introducing elk into the area. He is a very good writer and big outdoorsman. The story went something like this:

"blah blah blah ... the majestic sound of bull elk ... not heard in these parts in more than a century ... magnificent creatures once again ... where they once ruled ... at great expense ... extraordinary effort by state officials ... and then we can shoot them."

10. Outdoors writer does not necessarily equal hunter or fisherman. It can also be a hiker, biker, conservationist, or bird watcher.
    I have worked at two papers where the "outdoor" writer was not a hunter. I think it's unusual, but ...

Also, to attract younger readers it may not be a bad idea to look at adding an outdoor writer who's more of a hiker/biker than a guns and ammo.

Draft saved Draft deleted