1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Out the door she goes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Must have gotten some bad Chinese.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Nah. Took a wrong turn and he just kept going.

3. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Wait a minute, here ... I'm still kind of amused by "clean up day." Is this kindergarten? You're "allowed" to wear jeans for this? Are you "allowed" to bring in your own Windex?? Are you "allowed" to tell them that you are a journalist and they need to hire a freaking janitor??

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

My last two weeks at my last job were great. You don't have to worry about anythinig and you pretty much stop caring, so work isn't as stressful.

5. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Had a guy at my first shop who was told to come in early the next day. They were going to lay him off and they wanted to get him out the door before everyone else showed up.
    The problem was, he saw his final check, which came in a late afternoon dispatch run.
    He came in early the next day and took four hours to clean his desk, making sure to say goodbye to everyone.

6. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Do not laugh. I worked at a place where the lead graphic artist doubled as the janitor. He would come in early and pick up trash, vacuum, clean toilets, etc.

I was also told by the IT guys that if I want my keyboard cleaned of crumbs and grime and stuff, I am allowed to bring in my own compressed air and q-tips.

7. Damaramu

Damaramu Member

Allowed to wear jeans? I wear jeans everyday, do bigger papers not allow you to wear jeans? I don't think I even own any khakis.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I've worked places that don't allow jeans, but my current shop has never said anything about them. I typically wear jeans four of every five days I'm in the office as well.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

News reporters usually don't get much leeway on the jeans deal. Often, it's khakis or stay home.

10. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

At my place, insurance has gone up twice since I got promoted. It's about $70 a week now, but I don't know if that's good or bad.

Honestly, this thread has made me enternally grateful that I'm a stringer with fulltime job to pay the rent.

11. Me too. Most sports writers I've encountered are among the most poorly dressed people I've ever met. I don't think I dress poorly, but I wear jeans pretty much every day of the week and no one seems to care.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

In thumbnail form, the guy in your avatar pic actually looks a lot like Scott Baio ...

Draft saved Draft deleted