1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Out of the Park Baseball and Text Sims

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cross Face Chicken Wing, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Does anyone play Out of the Park Baseball (OOTP) or other sports text sims? Might be fun to try and get an online league going.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/index.php

OOTP is the most addicting video game ever created and it likely will lead to me getting divorced one day. Other text sims I play inclue Action PC Football, Front Office Football, DDS Pro Basketball 3 and DDS College Basketball 2.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yep. Love it.

I was a big Pursue the Pennant/Diamond Mind loyalist until I got a Mac, for which DMB is incompatible. Thank goodness I found OOTP.

Haven't played any of the others you mentioned.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

[Raises hand sheepishly]

One job that was all I did.

4. I've played dozens of seasons on previous versions and have seriously considered getting the latest one. Managing the complexity and size that the game now has can be somewhat intimidating.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I'm a huge online sports text sim nerd.

I don't play there anymore, but Dolphinsim.com had the best text-based football sim you will ever play, bar none. Their college football league is absolutely amazing.

The best thing about sites like that is you get to play head-to-head with other people instead of just the computer.

6. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I have never heard of this before...but I am interested..how long does it take to play a season or even just one game? I'm going to download this and try it out when I have a day off

7. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

If they could make a computer sim version of Statis Pro Baseball, my social life would be done.

8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I actually liked Baseball Mogul a bit more, just because it was a bit more simplified, whereas OotP could alternate between being too overwhelming if you tried to do everything yourself, or too crippled if you let the computer manage certain aspects.

I hadn't heard of the DDS games before, but I'm intrigued and might check them out. For the college basketball and college football games on the consoles, I find it fun to sim seasons - i.e. just do recruiting and lineups, no playing of the actual game - but it's normally not as easy to do with the pro franchises for some reason.

9. On the surface, I didn't think the latest version was going to be much more than a re-packaged version of OOTP 12. But like I do every year, I broke down and bought it. No regrets whatsoever. It's the best version to date. Worth the price for the random debut feature alone.

You can sim an entire season in a few minutes if you want. If you want to play out each game, it takes about 10-15 minutes depending on your settings.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I play whatifsports.com college basketball dynasty, but if anyone wants to put together a baseball sim league, I would be in.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I get hooked on text-based sports MMORPGs pretty easily. Stuff that kind of ends up as a cross between a text-based sports sim and Farmville.

Hattrick (soccer) and Battrick (cricket) are my favorites.

12. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I've played Baseball Mogul for a few years now.

I was considering trying OOTP this year, just for a change. What's the biggest difference between the two?

Draft saved Draft deleted