1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Out of the Park Baseball 9

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Herbert Anchovy, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Has anyone played this game? Is this version worth the time?

2. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Is it a video game?

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

It's similar, although it's more of a simulation game, rather than a true video game.

It's not based on whether you can hit a video game curve ball. It's based on stats.

And I've always liked Baseball Mogul instead of OOTP.

4. RayKinsella

RayKinsella Member

I have been involved with OOTP for about 6 years and the game is one of the best. I don't have 9...simply because I am too cheap. I have 6 and love it. You can download 9 right now for free for 10 days (or a week).

But it is worth $19.95 and if you get in an online league, you'll love it.

5. I'm almost embarrassed to admit it, but I'm a huge OOTP fan. I think OOTP is worth getting. A lot of good updates and changes.

6. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Are you on a time limit? Can you play at your own pace? 'Cause I know I'll go weeks without updating something. Then again, I know I'd play for hours at a time, too.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Well, I got it and I love it. I can already see this becoming a problem.

I was unhappy with OOTP5 or 6, can't remember which it was. The computer manager would do stupid things at the worst times, and I can't have that. This one has no such shortcomings.

Thank you for the input.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Well, shit. LJB, I might just have to get this myself.

I try not to give in to the impulse to get these games anymore, because I procrastinate enough as it is. Dammit.

9. Herbert Anchovy

buckweaver --

I spent the seventh grade playing MicroLeague until the foul lines were burnt into my C64 screen, so I'm not hard to please where these kinds of games are concerned. This is a great one for pissing away office/down time or decompressing after writing. Good procrastination. You can upload old logos and old mugs and ballpark "mattes" to give it a better feel. It is one of those games that can be what you want it to be.

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Is this by the people that make Football Manager? That game is a whole lot of fun, especially if you're an America-hating soccer lover like me.

11. SlickWillie71

SlickWillie71 Member

Great game, and I love the fact you can start at any point of MLB history with the actual players and stats. I've been playing it since OOTP 5 and -- like Beauregard said -- it's a great way to wind down from writing/desk work. I like Baseball Mogul as well, but OOTP is inexhaustible and easily addictive.

Have heard about Football Manager. Where can you get/download it? Is there a similar game for basketball and hockey?

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I had Football Manager for my old PC - played the demo (www.sigames.com) and got hooked. Later I got a newer version for the PSP - it's not as deep but still fun. Not as much of the financial stuff, which was boring to me anyway. The PSP version doesn't have as many leagues, but who wants to play the Hungarian league anyway?

Anyway, between that and Civ 4, it's a wonder my wife hasn't divorced me yet. Talk about life-wasters.

Draft saved Draft deleted