1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Out Of The Business

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rockbottom, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I didn't miss it my first year gone, but I miss it a lot more now than I did.

Although, I think the longer you're gone, the more you romanticize how great it was.

2. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

I think what could well keep me going is the level of creativity I have in my new job. No shortage of ways to exercise that side of my brain ... which beats cubicle work any day.

rb

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Gotta love working like that... is that part of the email you sent me last week or a separate deal?

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

Good luck. When you think about what you're missing, look at your new pay stub. I'm sure you won't be regretting the decision.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Well you've got me beat there. My cubicle sorta blows, although the high walls allow me to be on SportsJournalists.com all day.

6. the one thing that journalists getting out of the biz should be aware of: in many other companies, there are "goals" to be met and "targets" attained. In most other businesses, its quantifiable. In journalism, not so much. So while the layoff ax can be unkind, so too can the "you're not getting it done" guillotine.
    Not to rain on anyone's parade, but there's a reason a lot of people are in journalism for a long time - because the usual "business" practices generally don't apply.
    That said, most people I met in journalism were bright enough to do quite well in the so-called "private sector"

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

At my last newspaper gig, we had "goals" we had to meet. About a half-dozen settled upon by the SE and upper management. How far you come to reaching -- or how far you exceeded -- those goals determined your yearly raise amount. Complete waste of time -- unless you sucked at your job.

There are no such things at my non-journo job. You come to work. You go home. Rinse. Repeat.

Good luck, RB. Enjoy life now.

8. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

A separate deal (one that I kinda need an answer on ASAP, by the way ...) that I had previously on the books before this gig came through.

rb

9. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Best of luck RB

Draft saved Draft deleted