1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Out of control NFL draft coverage

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ondeadline, Apr 26, 2007.

1. pallister

pallister Guest

Football.

And I love the draft, especially the first day. I prefer it to the Super Bowl (certainly this year). But it's not close to the opening Sunday of the season, my favorite day of the year.

2. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

An excellent fix there, Bubbler.

This year's spoogefest was bad, but last year's was 5X worse. My God, ESPN ran a special mock draft that encompassed the entire first round.

Of course, ESPN Radio is in full spooge mode -- all draft/all the time. I think Cowherd pulled a groin climaxing every morning about it, although I'll give him props for blowing Freeman's JaMarcus Russell column out of the water this morning.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Less than 36 hours until all the draft hype will have finally passed us.

4. pallister

pallister Guest

I don't like hockey, so I don't post on the hockey threads.
    I don't like NASCAR, so I don't post on the NASCAR threads.
    I don't like soccer, so I don't post on the soccer threads.

Just sayin'.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I don't get your point, because I love the NFL draft. Just not the crazy hype that comes with it.

Unless you meant for that post to be for a broad audience.

6. pallister

pallister Guest

Just don't know why so many people around here spend time posting about how much they don't like something. Why waste the time?

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

because we reek of opinions

8. pallister

pallister Guest

That's for sure.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

According to an SI.com story I was just reading on Kiper, it was Vince Tobin. Is that right? I'm kinda confused.

10. If you own a bar, you want to have a draft party if your team is picking low.
    More reason to stick around and hammer yourself.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

The NHL Draft seems to be going this route too. Every GM who gets up to make a first-round pick says hi to all those watching at draft parties at home. Anyone ever been to one of these for the NHL Draft? I've never even heard of one here in Toronto, the self-proclaimed centre of the hockey universe.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I contend those with "overblown" draft coverage are those more in touch with their readers/viewers/listeners than those that downplay it.

Draft saved Draft deleted