1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

out-effin'-standing take on bonds...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by shockey, Aug 5, 2007.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

It's interesting. I won't knock the writing, but I felt all the way through that this piece was months in the writing and put in the bottle and uncorked last night for print.

To be honest, I'd rather read something that was written the day a record such as this was broken, having the writer write the piece with his/her emotion and perspective of the moment.

2. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

like grant farred, selena needs to own up to the duke rape hoax before her stuff is worth reading.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This could be true. But when she was covering the Knicks, she did some of the best writing on deadline I have ever seen. She amazed me with her ability to turn a phrase on a tight deadline. The woman can clearly write -- whether you agree with the point of view of this column or not.

4. Songbird

I don't doubt she's a pro on deadline. I've read some of her things. I just think this has been in the can a while.

I guess I'm indifferent to the column. It didn't move me, but it was readable.

5. KP

KP Active Member

Isn't Balco really an acronym and be spelled out as BALCO? Style issue?

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

The NYT goes lowercase on some acronyms, for example Nascar instead of NASCAR.

7. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

That was one of the best writing I've seen from a sportswriter in a long time. Give her credit for having strong writing skills and an even stronger vocabulary. It's nice to read something that elevates the language and doesn't write to the lowest common denominator.

8. I enjoyed the story. It's a good read. And Xan, I agree it sounds like it's been bottled up inside of her for a while, but I don't think it's a bad thing at all in this case.

Good job, Ms. Roberts.

9. Songbird

You want some twenty-five-cent vocabulary? Read Krikorian on a regular basis.

10. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Nicely written.
    I still ask the lingering question:
    In order to cheat, mustn't one do something that is against the rules?

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Dear god. Don't ever subject him to that. [/insertpukingsmileyhere]

12. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

My point exactly.

Draft saved Draft deleted