1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Our toll in Iraq is now 4*10³

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Jones

Jones Active Member

Absolutely right, Zeke.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

The Iraqi body count doesn't matter. We have liberated the country from an evil dictator.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I wish Mr. Lynch, or anyone really, could explain to me what constitutes winning in Iraq.

Those 4,000 soldiers died for some reason. I just wish someone could explain why with something other than platitudes and talking points. We owe them that much.

4. Two of my brothers kids are serving right now - one in Afghanistan and one in Iraq. Much of my view of the war is colored by their experience and their sacrifice. I never once talked politics with either one of my nephews before they enlisted. In no way did I drag those kids into the war - or any other person and its asinine to suggest that I have that sort of Internet super power.

Oh some of you are quite the drama queens - crying about having blood on your hands and such non-sense.

Ridiculous.

5. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Yeah, public opinion is meaningless. Has no effect on anything.

What began as a modest pit of Fail is quickly becoming a yawning chasm.

6. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Bush says today that "the outcome will justify the sacrifice" or something to that effect.

Doesn't he realize -- I'm sorry. I know he doesn't realize anything rational -- that in order to have an "outcome" the friggin war has to END.

7. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

I can do it in two words:

Loot. Dominion.

That good enough?

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Hardly my point. The number of dead in the Battle of the Bulge is totally irrelevant to the number of dead in Iraq to the number of Germans and French who died on the Maginot Line. Warfare evolves. With today's Nintendo warfare, 4,000 is not an insignificant number, and in relative practical terms could be considered as much a bloodbath as the other two. And at least in the other two, the deaths were in service of wars of great importance. The 4,000 in Iraq died in the service of a war of great impotence, of great needlessness. 4,000 young men and women, pissed down the drain.

As for Kosovo, big difference: that war worked. The country is a lot more stable and the genocide is over. In Iraq, we've gone from one side killing political enemies to numerous sides killing everybody, and we've created fertile ground for terrorism in a place where it was barren.

9. Barren? Really?

10. dooley_womack1

Yep. The radically religious Al Qaeda was anathema to the highly secular Saddam.

11. You really believe that? OK. The Tooth Fairy and Easter Bunny will be pleased to hear that.

12. dooley_womack1

I think it's a corollary to the Nazi rule that the side that cites the tooth fairy loses the argument. Anyhoo, since it's gonna come down to this anyway: I'd much rather Saddam still be the highly hemmed-in leader of Iraq, and if we were destined to lose 4,000 troops, I'd much rather have lost them in an effort totally focused on the areas where the actual person who has blood on his hands from 9-11 may be hiding.

Draft saved Draft deleted