1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Our toll in Iraq is now 4*10³

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Mar 24, 2008.

1. You still haven't said anything about jgmacg's numbers vs. your numbers, or Alley's last point.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Believe me, Chris there's nothing I'd like to do more than ignore you. Especially when you post some false and dimwitted chain-letter that purports to assess military casualties.

But your lies have to be answered. And I have to answer them. Because it was a litany of lies told by frightened, abject dilettantes like you that got us into Iraq in the first place and killed those 4000 troopers. That you haven't continued to argue in support of the lie you told today does them all a very great honor indeed.

And I'm glad to hear that all this amuses you. I'm sure the sound of your laughter fills the fucking rumpus room. That the blood of 4000 young Americans on your hands hasn't in any way stemmed your merriment is worth noting.

Here's the thing, Chris. Their blood's on my hands, too. And I'm angry about it. I am profoundly angry and heartbroken about it. I didn't do enough to answer that first wave of lies told by the panicked and the abject and the bloodthirsty in their ignorance and their fear.

So from here on out, whenever you post more lies, I'll call you on them. And I will insult you for doing so.

If you want to have substantive argument about the whys and the wherefores of our military misadventures abroad, by all means, let's do. But I'm tired of the lies.

You want some fucking truth? Click this:

http://www.nytimes.com/ref/us/20061228_3000FACES_TAB1.html

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Sorry, I don't speak French, but this is what Babelfish claims you said...

The more Ca changes, plus it is the same thing.

I'm assuming it should have translated it as the more some things change, the more they remain the same?

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

This is a stupid argument. In World War II, the U.S. faced only state enemies with industrialized, regular militaries. State enemies that had, in fact, aggressively invaded U.S. allies territorially, or in the case of Japan, militarily attacked the U.S. itself.

In other words, WWII was winnable. The Iraq war and occupation, or, rather, what is now the U.S. involvement in an Iraqi civil war and meltdown into Balkanization, is not winnable.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Yup.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Then either I'm smarter than I thought, or Babelfish is more ignorant than I thought. :D

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

And once again, Chris proves that the name "No Idiots Allowed Fantasy League" is an absolute oxymoron ...

I don't do clever. Here's a fact: Four thousand American troopers dead. Here's another: Over 30,000 American troopers wounded. Here's a third: Almost 90,000 Iraqi civilian deaths have been documented due to post-Saddam violence. Here's a fourth: This is an unmitigated disaster.

*plonk* and yet another killfile entry!

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

So 76,000 more deaths to go? Fuck that.

I wanted to vote for McCain, but he lost me there.

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Careful...the whole 90,000 dead Iraqi citizen argument has been picked over by some of the naysayers before, and they even try to show that there were more deaths under Saddam than under coalition occupation....as if the number alone was the most important factor.

As I said to Chris earlier, the number of deaths isn't the be-all, end-all. But it certainly is a starting point from which to begin the debate.

12. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Draft saved Draft deleted