1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Our toll in Iraq is now 4*10³

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Mar 24, 2008.

1. http://bp3.blogger.com/_L6pDyjqqsvY/R-F6vMRIfGI/AAAAAAAAMMM/rC1gKCpkpvs/s1600-h/military+deaths+clinton+years.JPG

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

But hey, he didn't get a blow job.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

and the source of your bullshit is ????

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

We all know the real reason: Four thousand American Servicemen have died in Iraq so Halliburton can make record profits.

And that my friends, is my 500th post.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Chris, just a question...where do you find those stats? I looked up the DoD breakdown, not only by year but by cause...between 1993 and the end of year 2000, there were 7,500 military deaths during the Clinton years, with one from "hostile" causes. The numbers for GWB, from 2001 to the end of 2006, there were 8,989 death, obviously with a lot of those numbers going to "hostile" causes.

Maybe there's a difference between the numbers that I'm not seeing, but based solely on the figures themselves, your point seems both a bit misguided and ill-advised.

7. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

You're smarter than this, aren't you?

James was echoing a common distortion of U.S. military death figures by conservative pundits who misleadingly have compared combat deaths under the Bush administration to all military deaths -- combat and noncombat -- under the Clinton administration. The U.S. Department of Defense's Defense Manpower Data Center Statistical Information Analysis Division figures of combat and noncombat deaths of U.S. military personnel show that during Clinton's eight-year presidency, full-time, active-duty military personnel deaths totaled 7,500. In contrast, full-time, active-duty military personnel deaths during the first six years of Bush's presidency have totaled 8,792.

http://colorado.mediamatters.org/items/200706080003

8. Grimace

Grimace Guest

I don't expect a response.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

The Federation of American Scientists? Sorry...I'll go with the DoD's numbers, if you don't mind.

10. Alley - those are DoD numbers. That was the report that was compiled for Congress. Did you click the link or just look at the url?

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I did click. However, the numbers on the DoD's site vs. the numbers on the FAS site don't match. Therefore, the DoD is going to win the credibility race anytime, in my book.

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

And since you're apparently a military expert, take a closer look at the causes of death. The number of accidental deaths among those in uniform started falling dramatically in the late 1980s/early 1990s as part of the NavSafe program. The only time the numbers ramp up is during a period where we have a high concentration of forces in a potential/current war zone.

So beyond posting a number without understanding its true meaning, what were you hoping to accomplish by the links? Seriously?

Draft saved Draft deleted