1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Our plea to Will Smith ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HejiraHenry, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Yeah that was real good. I liked Enemy of the State and Ali(But I still think it could've been ALOT better).

But none of that can match The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air :D ;D

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I love Michael Mann as a director, but he was the wrong choice to direct 'Ali.' Mann's films all have a quiet tone to them and, as such, he really never took advantage of Smith's bombast.

Smith was perfect for the part and he did a great job, but I would have liked to see more of him trash-talking, bragging, and generally being, I don't know, louder. Mann muted him too much. The movie was long enough that we could have seen plenty of the introspective, intelligent and quiet Ali that was prevalent in the film and still had time for him to showboat a little bit.

Good movie overall, but could have been better.

3. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I worked at a movie theater when "Wild Wild West" came out. I hated it so much after seeing it the night before it opened that I would tell people it sucked as I was selling them popcorn. (turns out, that pisses people off. Who knew?)

I really like "I, Robot" though. It probably had something to do with my tremendously low expectations going in, but I really did like it. I like Smith in Ali, though I didn't love the rest of the movie.

4. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

... Is to talk dirty to us. Love that voice. Summa summa summa time...

5. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

And now I have to explain to everybody in my office what all that laughter was about.

Nice work, Luggie.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Imagine the same cast and material directed by, say, Tony Scott ...

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I had someone more like Spielberg in mind. Ridley Scott might have pulled it off. Certainly not Tony. Considering his knowlege of Ali, Spike Lee might have been the right choice (ever see 'When We Were Kings?')

8. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Impossible to sullen anything in which the previous star was Charlton Heston, a wooden stiff actor before he became a pistol-packing gun nut.
    My cat could upgrade the level of emoting if he were cast in a Heston remake.

9. I bet he would get a lot of pussy.

10. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

Shudders? I feel more like convulsing at the thought..

11. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

Slight threadjack: Once read an interview with Andy Griffith where he said that back in his early showbiz days, he was a lot more like Lonesome Rhodes than Andy Taylor in his personal life. Thought that was kind of interesting.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I loved "I, Robot."

Draft saved Draft deleted