1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Our plea to Will Smith ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HejiraHenry, Jun 8, 2007.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

If there was one movie remake or currently existing creative property that you could beseech Will Smith to stay the hell away from, what would it be?

He's already sullied:
    The Wild Wild West (former beloved TV Western)
    I, Robot (beloved sci-fi novel)
    Omega Man (Charleton Heston flick now remade by the original beloved story's title, I Am Legend).

Anything we need to collectively steer him away from?

I'm going deep for this one: A Face in the Crowd, the 1957 political/social commentary starring ... wait for it ... Andy Griffith, along with Patricia Neal and Walter Matthau. It was at one time optioned in the 1990s, I think it was, by Whoopi Goldberg.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Whoopi Goldberg doing a remake of Face in the Crowd?

Lonesome Rhodes shudders

3. HejiraHenry

Yup. I consistently rank that as one of the finest movies I have ever seen.

And people who only know Matlock or Sheriff Taylor are usually stunned when they watch it.

4. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

The man's the Party Starter. He can do whatever the hell he wants.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

No one should ever attempt to remake A Face in the Crowd. And Andy Griffith was sensational.

6. HejiraHenry

I dunno, Sorkin could try with the cast of Studio 60.

Gender-bend it and let Sarah Paulson be Lonesome Rhodes, with Matthew Perry in the Patricia Neal role and Timothy Busfield or Bradley Whitford in the Matthau part. And throw Josh Molina in there someplace just for giggles.

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

...is to please cease existing.

Thank you.

8. Maybe Will Smith could put together a remake of "The Green Pastures."

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Hey, I like Will Smith. Even if he plays the same cocky/arrogant bad ass action hero in every movie, from "MIB" to "Bad Boys" to "Independence Day" to "Enemy of the State," etc. He's funny.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

In The Heat of The Night and Cool Hand Luke

11. Not sure how anyone can dislike Will Smith to the point where they'd ask him to stop existing. Isn't he widely known as a good guy who makes fun action movies and music that kids can enjoy and older folks can nod their head to?

Personally, I enjoyed I, Robot and I think it's unfair to say he has "sullied" I Am Legend considering it isn't even out yet.

With all of the dipsticks in Hollywood these days, Will Smith would be one of the last people I would want to attack. Maybe I'm missing something here.

12. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

I thought I, Robot was OK.

Draft saved Draft deleted