1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Our NASCAR preview tab...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FuturaBold, Feb 10, 2009.

1. FuturaBold

FuturaBold Member

... which had been 30+ pages before I got here and was 16-20 pages in my first few years here is now ... not happening at all...

we sold two ads, so now I've got a NASCAR page ... how do you preview the NASCAR season with about half a page of space (the ads fill up the rest)? Ideas?

our basketball tab didn't happen this year either ... if we can't sell a football tab in an area with a couple of state championship contenders, i'm hanging it up...

2. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Lots of charticles and info boxes. Limited information, no predictions, just the highlights.

Short and sweet and tight, but not squished ... (that's what she said)

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Can you preview the season with a series of articles running over a few days? Don't know what your space is like, but it's a thought.

You're right, by the way. If we can't sell football tabs, we're all fucked.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

ducky's right. There have been a lot of driver team/number changes, so make sure you run info boxes on the drivers. Even if it's just a mugshot (available on nascarmedia.com) and their car number and crew chief with one nugget of information.

Run the schedule down one rail, with TV info if you have it (that's what people like).

5. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Run last week's winner under a caption titled "Who Beat?"

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Active Member

And somewhere you need a flowchart explaining which teams merged with who and how last year's top-35 owner's point spots were swapped around.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Active Member

That flowchart I suggested would need its own tab. :D

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Yeah, 2mcm, I was going to say there's no way that's working. I suggest throwing that stuff in the nugget.

39 Ryan Newman
    Crew Chief: Tony Gibson
    Nugget: This car was the No. 66 last year, and Scott Riggs' points were enough to guarantee Newman a spot in the first five races.

10. Pendleton

Pendleton Member

NASCAR makes up more rules on the fly than Bud Selig, which is hard to do.

(Whoops, I'm going to get taken off the air for a few days now)

11. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Outing alert: Pendleton is Scott Van Pelt! Police! Police!! :)

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Seems like tabs are getting harder and harder to sell these days, whether its preps, colleges or anything else. In the publisher's mind, if advertising can't sell it, no use printing it.

I always thought a weekly syndicated NASCAR page (from gannett, IIRC) was a giant waste of space. Could have cut that info to two columns and used the rest on more important stuff in this corner of the world.

Draft saved Draft deleted