1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Our Man Jones

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JR, Jul 16, 2006.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I bought the mag Sunday and only read Jones' piece today. Sorry, but "Confessions of An Army Interrogator" demanded my immediate attention, and then I detoured to the Tom Petty "What I've Learned" and the Chris Cornell Q&A. But usually I scope out "The Rules" before I read any long stories and I haven't looked for them yet.

Great read, Jones, especially the last paragraph. I also liked the detail about him sanitizing his hands. As I was reading it on the couch my wife was reading (trying to read) The New Yorker and there were about six paragraphs scattered in there that I read out loud to her. I do that sometimes when we're reading, but not often.

2. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

I finally gave up on getting mine in the mail, renewed the ol' subscription (which expires next week, I guess why I didn't get a copy) and pulled the McCain story off the web.
    Nice work, Mr. Jones. I dug the whole thing and it moved nicely, but like Frank, I really dug the last paragraph.

BTW, as a New Yorker, I say nice read on Joe Bruno, and on his supporters, "the sort who take care of their friends."

3. Terd Ferguson

Terd Ferguson Member

Still.... waiting....
    Just subscribed and paid and I was told last week the issue had been mailed.
    Every day I run out to the mailbox three or four times to see if it's arrived. (My neighbors must think I'm a really big goober)
    Sadily, it hasn't and I'm beginning to lose hope.

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Terd: If you're running out to the mailbox several times in anticipation of a magazine, then you share this fact with people on a message board, that makes you a really big goober. And I say that in the nicest possible way ...

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I used to do that when waiting for my X-Ray Specs from the Johnson C. Smith company.

6. Terd Ferguson

Terd Ferguson Member

Damn, guys. That hurts, though your points are very valid and I'm probably a big goob with or without my mailbox trip(s).
    Would it help my cause if I told you I made up the part about running out the mailbox multiple times each day? That it was a bit of exaggeration - a little hyperbole, if you will.
    Admittedly, I have been anxiously awaiting the magazine's arrival and I am beginning to lose hope for this month. It's been a cluster with these folks from the beginning.
    Ah well... Only 2 hours, 13 minutes 57 seconds until the mail truck hits my block!  ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted