1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Our Man Jones

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JR, Jul 16, 2006.

1. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

I haven't gotten mine either. Dunno if that should make you feel better, though.

Jonesy, what the crap!? Get us our magazines! :)

2. JME

JME Member

Where's the old thread?

3. Jones

Jones Active Member

This is what I wrote on the other thread:

Well, shucks River, thanks a bunch.

Really, it was a story that would have taken work to fuck up.
    I first met McCain in his truck on the way out of the New School commencement, which was a blockbuster start to things but also made for an uncomfortable few minutes. After riding in silence for a little while, I spoke to him about the ground rules for the story, just as an easy distraction. I knew we would have decent access, but I wasn't sure how much, and I wasn't sure how much of it would be considered off the record.

So, I told McCain that if he wanted something to be off the record, that was fine, but he would need to let me know in advance, loudly and clearly, what was on and off.

He just said, "Well, let's make this easy. Everything's on the record."

And then, despite that, I found him to be entirely candid, and I spent a great deal of time with him over the course of several days, sometimes on our own. For instance, on the flight from Washington to Maine on his little private plane, it was just us, side by side, having a beer. No security, no aides. Perfect, uninterrupted access.

Now, I'm a lefty pinko Canadian, and so I disagree with McCain on some significant issues. But he struck me as being honest and decent, and part of me wondered -- not without sadness -- how different things might have been had he bested Bush in 2000. I found it incredible, having seen McCain up close, that more people would have thought Bush would make the better President. Sorta nuts, if you ask me.

I'll be interested to see how 2008 goes for him.

And for those of you who don't like to see a Republican on the cover of Esquire, we've offered Hillary Clinton the same coverage if she promises the same access. You'll know her answer if you see her on the cover -- or if you don't

Anyway, thanks again, River. Nice of you to say.

To answer Ralph's question about the house party, I included it under the "everything is on the record" umbrella. I think McCain might have forgotten for a moment that I was there -- I had only been with him a couple of hours at that point, and I was standing at the back of a pretty full room -- or, perhaps, he was just using a figure of speech that came to him naturally. Either way, I had already had him commit to everything being on the record during our time together. And his office has since let me know that he liked the story very much, so I feel like he was fine with it, even having seen it in print.

I'll try to find a number of distribution if you guys want to complain about not getting your mags. I don't have a subscription -- yeah, yeah -- so I'm not really sure where to go. I'll see what I can find out.

4. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Nails, Jonesie... nails.

The attention to chronicling nuance and detail was outstanding, as was the scene-setting. I need to put aside a copy of this for my J class when I talk about feature writing.

Well done.

5. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

For those awaiting their issues, I just got mine today.

And Jones, superb work, as always.

I actually just bought the BASW and Best American Magazine Writing of 2005 and who should I find with works in each? Mr. Jones.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

OK, see, now you're trying too hard, Jones.

I said I DIDN'T want to see your cock. Hanging out with McCain and getting the Esquire cover story is not changing my mind on that.

7. Jones

Jones Active Member

Thanks again everybody. Very nice to read and hear.

We were a little late getting this issue to print, so it might be a little late getting to your mailboxes. But if you're having subscription problems, call our service line at 800-888-5400. Hopefully someone nice is on the other end and they'll help you out.

Thanks again for the kind words, folks. Sincerely.

Except for you Bubbler.

8. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

i think when mccain tells donors he wouldnt say something in public, he is just trying to make them feel as if they are getting some inside info. after all, they've just written checks for his presence.

9. patchs

patchs Active Member

I bought it during the outting in Toronto, knew I wasn't going to read it there.
    Although when I was sitting at a Tim's eating a maple swirl donut, I was about to, then I was interrupted by somebody. :D
    So last night, when I got some free time, I sat down with it.
    Great piece, a good solid read, you never feel it's too long.
    I voted for McCain in the GOP primaries in 2000 and I hope to do it again in 2008.
    Bush is an example of the influence of the religious right.
    Nothing wrong with religion, but it doesn't belong in politics. The GOP needs to return to the Jacob Javits and Nelson Rockefellers.
    McCain is more than qualified to run the county.
    Jones did a wonderful job telling us who the real McCain is. He's got my vote --- again.
    Pataki doesn't have a chance and if Giuliani runs.... now that could be interesting.
    Anyone but Hillary.

10. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Jones:

Good work man.

Captured the inner conflicts of McCain.

I met him before he was even in the Senate, in the late '70s.

An impressive man.

That said, I think some right-wing zealot's going to emerge in the GOP, like the second coming of George Allen.

This guy would probably start Billy over Sonny, too.

Fucktards.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Jones,

Great job. The amount of access evident in the article is just stunning. I imagine the hard part was figuring out what not to use.

Loved the Condi-Fox News anecdote/contrast.

12. Finally received my damn issue in the mail today after seeing it on the stands for the past week. Strong effort, Jonesy ...

Draft saved Draft deleted