1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Our Man Jones

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JR, Jul 16, 2006.

1. Jones

Jones Active Member

I was thinking a little Count Chocula, if you know what I'm saying.

2. Gold

Gold Active Member

I saw the article on the newsstand and almost bought it - then I remembered I had a subscription :)

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Tell her Slappy said Thanks again....

4. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Hey Jonesy, I really enjoyed it and I don't give a rat's ass about politics.  How's that for a compliment.  :D

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I saw this thread and immediately thought it had something to do with Jonesey's drinking prowess, knowing that a few of our kind recently raised pints with him. Which kind of begs the question of whether SJ is going to merit a reference or two in the article for which said pints were raised. I mean, a mention in Esquire couldn't help but add some legitimacy to this place.

6. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

God, think of the trolls we'd add, though ...

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

I think we can put it this way novelist... Yes, Jones can write a little. And yes, Jones can drink a little.

8. Jones

Jones Active Member

Thanks, HC.

River: But at least the Esquire trolls would be well-dressed.

And spnited, thank you for coming up with my dream tombstone tribute: "Here lies Jones... He could write a little; he could drink a little."

If Jessica Simpson suffocates me to death with her tits, please forward my wishes to my next of kin.

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

[oldenglishscript]Here lies Jonesey. He was suffocated by the famous Simpson twins. Don't bother opening his tomb if all you want to know if he has a smile on his face. We'll save you the trouble. He does. Oh, and he could drink a little.[/oldenglish]

10. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

To others who get Esquire at home: when did your issue arrive? Mine hasn't come yet and I saw it on a newsstand today. I'm a bit worried I let my subscription lapse by mistake or something.

11. Jones, great read.

Now a journo question: When McCain is speaking at the house of GOP donors, at one point he says, "I would never say this publicly ... " And yet he's quoted. Is there any backstory, did his people say anything? I assume McCain, being a good guy, just slipped and committed honesty, and you quoted it, as you had every right to be.

Also, I assume you followed him around for a few days. Were there any ground rules set beforehand?

This is all just curiousity. Again, very well put-together, and made me wish once again that he would get out of the GOP primary, which of course he will not.

12. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Read the old thread on this topic ... Jones talked about the ground rules -- or the lack thereof.

Draft saved Draft deleted