1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Our long national nightmare -- the Pro Bowl -- is over

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I've got my money on Ray Lewis.

2. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

but whatever will become of the truly horrid uniforms they create for that game

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Robert Edwards suggests a two hand touch game on the beach instead.

4. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Maybe they should have them compete in "Battle of the Network Stars" style events. I'd pay good money to see, say, Nick Mangold and Wes Welker competing in the tandem bicycle.

5. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Hunger Games: Pro Bowl

6. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

And I don't care that he's not an NFL player; Steve Garvey is given a life-long exemption to compete in the event.

7. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

On one hand, sorry to see it go, particularly for die-hard football fans who hate seeing the season end. But it was nothing more than a junket for players and cash cow (or should it be considered an "extra" cash cow.....?) for the tourist city of Honolulu. Maybe it was time.

8. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

Thank goodness it's over. Who cared about it anyway? It was always badly played. Football has never lended itself to an all-star format. The cohesion of an offensive line takes a lot longer than a week or two of practice. Put 'em on a beach, put flags on their belts and call that a Pro Bowl. Works for me.
    That's about the extent of tackling in the game.

9. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I've been hoping for this for years. Then again, I don't own a restaurant in Honolulu.

10. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I'm guessing that the booing of the Honolulu fans during the first half of last year's Pro Bowl was what gave this idea legs.

11. Quakes

Quakes Guest

Didn't work so well for Robert Edwards.

My idea is that the NFL names the Pro Bowlers and makes them all show up for some sort of fan festival, where the players meet and greet the fans and maybe participate in some fun events (like punt, pass and kick, or teaching fans a play, or putting them through drills). Basically, make it like an all-star game, but without the game, and more chances for fans to interact with the players. Make it free, or very cheap. Have the event over two or three days -- perhaps in the city that's hosting the Super Bowl, on the weekend before the game. Or maybe rotate it among NFL cities. Maybe the NFL would lose whatever money it makes from having the Pro Bowl televised, but I think something like this would be great PR for the league.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Bring back the College All-Star Game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_College_All-Star_Game

Draft saved Draft deleted