1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Our long national nightmare -- the Pro Bowl -- is over

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Apr 26, 2012.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7857508/nfl-moving-suspend-pro-bowl-sources-say

I'm sure this upsets the people of Honolulu, every other year, and nobody else.

Funny part: They're still going to vote and put people in the game, so everyone can say he was an X-time Pro Bowl selection or whatever.

Could they put anything else in its place? A skills competition of some sort? One thing I'd actually watch a little bit, if they could work out the injury risk portions of it, is a basketball game between the sides. Some of those guys can play.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I like it. Now the guys who were eighth alternates who end up playing after everyone else passes can't claim to be Pro Bowlers...

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

That actually brings up an interesting point. Will the player's association have a problem with this move since fewer players will now get paid Pro Bowl bonuses and won't receive a free trip to Hawaii?

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Skills Competition:

Longest FG
    Longest Punt
    Longest Throw

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

My wife right now is at a convention where there will be an event on the Cowboys Stadium field that will include throwing and kicking contests. That is as meaningful as the Pro Bowl.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

So, just extend the Punt, Pass and Kick competitions right through the professional level? I remember the Colts' punter, Pat McAfee, won one of those when he was in high school.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Andy Reid wants in.

8. Mizzougrad96

I think the compromise is that the team will still be named. But, you're absolutely right, about 30-40 fewer players will get Pro Bowl bonuses now.

9. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

Just replace Pro Bowl bonuses with bounty bonuses. Problem solved.

10. Mizzougrad96

It's funny. Players with good agents have it written in their contracts that they get bonuses if they're "named" to the team. More than a few times players get a shitty agent that has it in the contract that they have to "play" in the Pro Bowl to get the bonus.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Name the starters, reveal them at half time of the AFC/NFC Championship games, and call it a day.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Take the two teams to a particularly remote part of Hawaii and stage "Survivor: Pro Bowl." Then broadcast it on the NFL Network in the offseason.

Draft saved Draft deleted