1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Our industry and nuclear war

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BB Bobcat, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

This is probably true, which is why I tend to believe those who say they only way to save the business is to destroy it and rebuild it from the ground up -- with ownership unaccustomed to 20 percent profit margins.

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

BYH and 2much, those were the best out-loud laughs I've had in a week! Even the dog looked at me, wondering what the fuck was so fuckin' funny.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

On the national level the business has already been destroyed and rebuilt -- under new ownership on the Web.

Newspaper publishers are in grave danger of losing their local products, too, because they're too busy trying to hold on to margins in their print products instead of investing in and re-inventing their products online. Evolve or die.

4. times38

times38 Member

10 years from now the media entities known as newspapers will still exist (assuming the beancounters don't kill us first). we're never going to be able to charge people to use our sites (if the NYT couldn't, what makes you think anyone can?), but if we are smart about the product we put online we can generate enough hits to have some nice ad revenues.

and if you're not paying for paper, paying all the grease monkeys and paying circulation, that saves you a lot of money to pay writers.

5. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Excellent point. I knew all those damn pressmen and truck drivers were killing our industry!!!! :)

Draft saved Draft deleted