1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Our game

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by novelist_wannabe, Aug 2, 2008.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I've voiced my distaste for Chip Caray on here before, but I've just noticed his repeated reference to baseball as our game. As in, "Those who closely follow our game ...." Something about it just strikes me as crossing a line. It's not his game. He's a paid observer. Being a homer is one thing, but claiming some level of ownership as a broadcaster, to me, comes across as unseemly, not to mention pompous. Your thoughts?

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Chip Caray, pompous? Never. [/bluefont]

He's a paid observer, but he doesn't pretend to be an impartial observer. I'll say that. I'd rather not say how I really feel about his broadcasting style, though. I'm sure you understand. ;)

3. dargan

dargan Active Member

I agree. I know this may seem as painting with a broad brush, but I think a lot of baseball people are like that. They often have more of a sense of entitlement than say football or basketball folk.

buckweaver, you may now tear me limb from limb.

4. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Why are you guys posting on my board?

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

;D

I prefer not to generalize like that, because I've been in MLB press boxes with people like that and I've been in NFL press boxes with people like that. (Personally, I've been treated worse by arrogant NFL foofs than I have by arrogant MLB foofs. But that's just my experience. Yours might be different.)

I think it's more a product of individual entitled idiots than it is an entire culture of, shall we say, sport supremacy.

6. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Because you suck.

7. dargan

dargan Active Member

When I say "baseball people," it's the announcers I hear on TV, writers I read, and people I encounter ... covering preps.

In other words, I probably have no room to comment on this. :D

8. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Well, that's awfully pompous. What are you, Chip Carey?

9. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Pompous? Dammit. I was going for abrasive and assholish.

I fail again, just like the Tigers.

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Is he any relation to Chip Car<b>a</b>y?

11. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Clearly not. Their last names are spelled differently.

Oh, and Dickens, now you're being abrasive and assholish.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Oh, I don't know. There are a lot of college football guys who cry we, we, we all the way home. And a Chicago Bears radio broadcast sounds like a fan club.
    And then there are

Draft saved Draft deleted