1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Our friend Phil's racist rant about Jay-Z's Nets raising eyebrows

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TigerVols, May 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Is Mushnick always that hard to read? I had a hard time just getting to the Jay-Z part. It seemed like the column started in the middle of a sentence or something.

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Mushnick's my first and usually only read as far putting sports in context is concerned. He has always fought the good fight, standing up where decency, civility and common sense are put down.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

He should be fired along with the editor who allowed the piece to run. End of rant.

4. derwood

derwood Active Member

[quote author=mushnick]
    As long as the Nets are allowing Jay-Z to call their marketing shots -- what a shock that he chose black and white as the new team colors to stress, as the Nets explained, their new "urban" home -- why not have him apply the full Jay-Z treatment?
    Why the Brooklyn Nets when they can be the New York N------s? The cheerleaders could be the Brooklyn B----hes or Hoes. Team logo? A 9 mm with hollow-tip shell casings strewn beneath. Wanna be Jay-Z hip? Then go all the way!
    [/quote]

That was his column, annotations and footnotes really are not needed.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Why? You're calling for someone's firing, you should at least enunciate why you feel like he -- and his editor -- should go.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

I don't have to enunciate anything. It should not have been printed. I can't even fathom why this was written. It wasn't journalism. It was a guy with a personal vendetta using his forum to insult not only Jay-Z but many others. He and the editor who approved it should be hitting the bricks.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Though this nation has proudly thought of itself as an ethnic melting pot, in things racial we have always been and continue to be, in too many ways, essentially a nation of cowards.

Drip, you are a fine example of this.

Why are you so afraid to discuss race? What's wrong with discussing it?

If you think Mushnick was out of line, fine. You should be able to explain why, otherwise it just comes across as a reflexive uncomfort with any mention of race.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

YF, you don't know me. I don't have a problem with race. Mushnick crossed the line. If I have to explain why that word is offensive to others to you, then perhaps we'd do better by taking it to the PM.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Drip doesn't have time for this silliness. He's too busy providing tolerant insight on the Virginian-Pilot thread.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

LOL. Yes. LOL.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Take it to PMs, and have a happy 'Mushnick Busts a Cap in Jay-Hovah' day.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

In this thread alone I've read that the word nigga is used as an art form and I also read that it is offensive.

I'm really confused.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.