1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Our entire economic situation summed up in a 10 minute CNBC clip

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Feb 9, 2009.

1. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Teddy Roosevelt would have finished on Roubini's grille. Robustly, of course.

2. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Roubini is freakin' brilliant. He's forgotten more about economics than those assclowns Dennis Kneale and Michele Caruso-Cabrera will ever know.

The NY Times magazine did a nice piece on him last year. Apologies for not having the link.

Why am I not surprised it was those two who were running point on this interview? The only other mongo optimist I expected to see here was Mr. Mustard Seed himself -- Loudmouth Supply Sider Larry Kudlow.

3. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I agree that those who were to blame for this mess should be replaced, but who replaces them? Their proteges? Do we import talent from China and India to take our in C-level positions?

America has always been about making it big. It's also been about redemption, a second chance. While I would not put business leaders back in their old positions -- I'd like to think many still have a positive contribution to make, even if it's in another business.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Our entire economic situation summed up in two words: "We're screwed"

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Wellllllll, now that you bring it up . . .

6. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Like, just let the two experts speak. Shut the fuck up and learn.

7. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

TALEB: "I don't trust the class managing these plans. They've failed. And they'll fail again."

8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

CNBC and other financial channels exist solely to provide stock tips. Same reason sports talk and classic rock radio have stcok market reports.

9. And the latter also play Foreigner.

10. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Dr. Doom and the Black Swan...WTF? Just call them by their real names.

11. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

They can't, Pete.

Don't you understand? Kneale and Caruso-Cabrera (and to a lesser extent, Griffith and Herera) have to prove to all of us how much they know. They have to make sure what's left of the investor class has a good stock tip to act on. That's all that matters.

Learning? From two individuals who know more about economics than the "Power Lunch" foursome will ever know in six lifetimes? Not on THAT network. Anything you learn outside of unfettered free-markets are good and government intervention is bad is purely accidental.

12. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I thought Doom had a lot more to offer than Swan.

The anchors were foofs which made me intensely uncomfortable. Part of it is the producing... they're being told to keep it moving and "coffee klatch it up" which results in horrible TV. If these guys are such rock stars and probably a great 'get' to get them together-- why rush them and cut them off?

The economist who makes a lot of sense to me is Morici (sp?), the U of Maryland guy.

I heard him analyze the stimulus bill by basically saying, "Tax cuts won't help. What good is $300 extra dollars when you don't have a job?" But he also didn't feel some of the Democrats' pork would do a lick of good. Basically he's all about jobs, jobs, jobs. To him, anything that creates a job is good, everything else is crap.

Draft saved Draft deleted