1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Our entire economic situation summed up in a 10 minute CNBC clip

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Feb 9, 2009.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

http://www.cnbc.com/id/15840232?video=1027496846&play=1

CNBC has two of the smartest gentlemen around, Nouriel Roubini, and Nassim Taleb, as guests.

These two men's viewpoint is that all the people who got us to this point – government officials and economists, and bankers – the same people who never saw this coming – are the ones trying to correct it - and it will fail.

Watch the CNBC talking heads - they sound like kindergartners. They practically mock two of the guys who called it from the beginning. And in true idiot fashion, keep asking for one McNugget of where to invest; they want to know what the signs are for the "bottom" - its like the CNBC guys are speaking a different language.

If this country's financial network is CNBC, then we are in worse shape than I thought. This is embarrassing.

2. Roubini -- and if that's not one of the greatest names ever, I don't know what is -- really is the smartest guy in the room.
    And the reporters on television's business channels are nothing more that incompetent racetrack touts.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

CNBC is what ESPN would be like if all the on-air talent were compulsive gamblers.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

This video amazes me in so many ways.

First, the rudeness is staggering.

Also, these two guys are talking about systemic problems in our economy. The idiots want a 10 second sound-bite of "one place to put your money" or "is this is bottom?"

Anyone connected with that network should be genuinely embarrassed.

5. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

Holy shit, go to 3:00 and watch for 10 seconds.

Taleb: "People like (Bernanke) we should immediately remove these people from...It's like someone crashed a plane and then you give him a new plane, say, Oh we're going to fly with you now?"
    DUMBASSFUCK ANCHOR: "Yeah, but these things happen."

These things happen? No, fucker. Rainstorms happen. How can this guy pretend to have a marketable skill for this job? And then another schmuck starts asking about one metric you could look at for a sign that the economy is turning around.

6. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Somebody should introduce Taleb to John McCain.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Roubini: "I am building a grain silo with a bunker underneath it and I am going to sequester myself and pray."
    Host: "Does that mean Monsanto is a buy?

8. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Just short America.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Anytime I hear someone say "actionable" or "data point" I have a pretty good idea they're an assclown.

10. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Yeah, but ESPN has no one like Erin Burnett. No one.

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Ah ha! The solution! Put Sully in charge of the economy!

12. I guess Roubini is insufficiently grateful that he doesn't live in Kenya.

Draft saved Draft deleted