1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

our cat is dying...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shockey, Jan 6, 2011.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

thanks, poin! i knew we had a discussion on this topic before but didn't go digging for it... so glad you did!!

2. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

Absolutely. My parents always had pets growing up. I can name all our cats and dogs and, painful as it was, I think it was way harder on my dad when each one died. I suspect your kids will be ready for a new pet before you will. Not that there's anything wrong with waiting. It really is like losing a member of the family.

3. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I found that dealing with the deaths of a few pets as a kid actually was a valuable tool in life. It was more than just the realization of that death is real, but also how to deal with the grief in constructive ways.

I've lost very close family members and friends since, and I'm truly convinced that mourning those pets helped with the grieving process later in life.

I had my miniature schnauzer die in my arms in a fit of seizures alone in my living room at age 12 and about five years later sat bedside with my grandfather when he died. As strange as it sounds, the two situations align parallel as physical and emotional ordeals. Clearly, a human death is more traumatizing, but the shock is the same at the time.

I wouldn't trade any part of my pet-owning experiences, even the dying portion.

4. printdust

printdust New Member

I feel for ya Shock, and your family.

I had a cat that was left by my ex-wife in the house after she moved out. I wasn't sure what to do with it, it liked her kids but one night she was hissing at the front door and I went to the door and outside stood my ex...not a neighborhood cat. One night she kicked her across the floor. I think she picked sides that night.

That cat became part of my new family and when we had to "scale down" into an apartment a few years back, I couldn't have but one animal and my kids had a small dog that sleeps with my son. My inlaws kept my cat. Well over the year or so I had to wait to get her home, she developed cancer. She also grew attached to my mother in law and the last time I was up there on a visit, she forgot who I was. She died a couple months later. I wonder if we could've gotten away with bringing her down. Inside I still wonder if she felt I abandoned her. She was so loyal during a rough spot in my life.

So I definitely understand.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

y'all knew this sad thread would be raising its sorry head again soon... mrs. shockey just left to take kobe to the vet for the last time. it was time, we all tearfully agreed. we did our best to read his mind and are sure this was the right decision for him, although not for us....

we had 'the three stooges' give him their farewell kisses, hugs and tears. thank gawd we're confident kobe wasn't in any pain, just feeling like crap with no appetite or thirst since having three injections on tuesday. eldest shockey son drives back to school on sunday so at least he was able to be part of kobe's last days -- he's always considered kobe his cat more than OUR cat....

i told mrs. shockey to take as long as she likes. i'm sure she'll be in no condition to drive home for a while. as i've noted, i'm not a cat guy, but kobe was a GREAT pet who i'll always be grateful to for loving our family and letting us love him...

eff me. as my man j.b. sings, 'here come those tears again...' :'( :'( :'( :'(

thanks so much again, everybody, for sharing your stories. :'(

6. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear, shockey.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

shockey, that's awful but it's good to see that everyone was there. Our best ...

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I knew when I saw this thread bumped up that the news wasn't good. I'm sorry, Shock.

9. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Thoughts with you and the family, shockey!

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

My grandpa didn't mess with vets. When one of his dogs got old and too ill to cope, he took it back of the barn and shot it in the head. No lie.

I went with him and wanted to watch, but couldn't. I don't remember if I was or wasn't told to watch, but I didn't.

11. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

So sorry, shockey. Sounds like he was a lucky cat.

12. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

From this thread, he had a long life with a family that loved him and really enriched the lives of you and your family. No pet can give more, or do better than that.

Reading this makes me - perhaps bizarrely, but there it is - want to adopt another cat.

Draft saved Draft deleted