1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Our business

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Mar 5, 2007.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

There are a lot of good threads here right now, so I probably should save this, but there's a timely entry to discussion: 10 days or so ago, sitting in a sports/bar restaurant in which every local station -- on huge hi-def TVS -- was full into Anna Nicole Smith, I actually was feeling pretty depressed about the news business -- to the point that the bartender actually asked if something was bothering me.

I didn't start a thread about it, but along comes Carl Hiaasen's column today:

http://www.miamiherald.com/424/story/29482.html

I'm on the Web now, but have a long print background. June will be my 30th anniversary in the biz as a full-timer.

Part of me kind of says, "Oh, well." And part of me even says, "Boy, if they think WE were the toy department ..."

But part of me sees the whole Anna Nicole thing and just wonders if we've gone over some kind of edge -- as Hiassen does.

2. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I think that Anna Nicole crap bothered all of us. I coldn't believe that is SHARED coverage on CNN with the Bluffton baseball team crash. Unbelievable.

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

OJ took us over the precipice thirteen years ago. Since then it's only been the fall, and the things we see, like Paris and Britney and Jon Benet and Anna Nicole, as we gather speed on the way down.

Race to the bottom? Maybe there is no bottom.

4. Carl Hiassen is such a good writer.

I can only hope he puts this experience into a new novel.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

When I clicked on the "show unread posts since last visit" link, here's the first two thread titles I saw:

Our Business
    Should it be THIS bad?

That pretty well trumps anything I'd come up with.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Perfectly said.

Anna Nicole didn't start this, and when Britney finally kicks it, coverage of her death will make Anna Nicole look as somber as Watergate.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

We recognize as a whole the kind of trouble the business in, and we're seeing it's a mixture of faults ... the public and the media's.

So now the question is how do you fix the problem?

8. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

I was at a newspaper run by a corporation Hiaasen himself loathed when I thought I witnessed the death of solid journalism. Too much to detail here, but we have been headed down this path awhile. I am happy I cover sports and I doubt I will ever go back into "news."

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

The problem is, it's infecting sports, now, too. As the lines become more and more blurred, our perception of "news" will become less clear.

10. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

Tell shareholders to F off and be happy with five percent profits.

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

By the way, as kind of an aside: During the whole cable scramble over Anna Nicole, one of the networks had one of those standing graphics kind of things, and this was the text:

Anna Nicole Smith: America's Rose

America's Rose!! ::)

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

One of the established posters has something in his siggy busting on that.

Could be worse. Could be "America's Sweetheart" *ahem* JonBenet Ramsey.

This isn't Ramsey bad. At least Anna Nicole and Britney are legal. The only demo that benefitted from the JonBenet coverage was the pedophile ones.

Draft saved Draft deleted