1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Our 50 states (and provinces/territories)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by I Should Coco, Mar 8, 2017.

1. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Concert: Missouri, Illinois, Louisiana, Oregon.

Wow, that just seems kind of sad.

2. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

As best as I can remember, I've got 102 U.S. airports (states but not territories). Holy crap, that's a lot of time watching people try to remove their refrigerator-sized luggage from the overhead bin so the rest of us can finally get off the plane.

3. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Starting a new category: State/provincial capitals (don't have to have visited the building, just the city):

Illinois (Springfield); Iowa (Des Moines); Missouri (Jefferson City); Indiana (Indianapolis); Tennessee (Nashville); Alabama (Montgomery); Mississippi (Jackson); Florida (Tallahassee); Georgia (Atlanta); South Carolina (Columbia); Connecticut (Hartford); Massachusetts (Boston); Kansas (Topeka); Colorado (Denver); Arizona (Phoenix); Wyoming (Cheyenne); Ontario (Toronto).

I know at least one person who's been to Juneau, Alaska -- a co-worker used to work up there.

4. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Arizona, California, Colorado*, Connecticut, Georgia*, Ohio*, Oklahoma, Oregon, Nevada, New York, Texas, Utah*, Washington

* - airport layover

5. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

A hobby of mine is to visit college campuses, so love that addition. I keep a nicely framed map of college campuses nationwide for pushpins on my basement 'map wall.'

[​IMG]

Bronco77 likes this.
  6. Donny in his element

Capitals (and capitols)
    • Alabama - Montgomery - passing through
    • Alaska - Juneau (+capitol) - cruise ship port
    • Arkansas - Little Rock - just passing through on way to Fayetteville
    • Colorado - Denver (+capitol) - home of some in-laws
    • District of Columbia - obvi
    • Florida - Tallahassee (+capitol) - home of my alma mater
    • Georgia - Atlanta
    • Iowa - Des Moines (+capitol) - stopped on the way to see bkc game in Iowa City
    • Kansas - Topeka - never left I-70, though, where it's visible from the highway
    • Maryland - Annapolis - side trip duing a DC visit
    • Nebraska - Lincoln (+capitol) - then-futuer mother-in-law lived there at the time
    • North Carolina - Raleigh - side trip to earn a pin for visiting NC State
    • Ohio - Columbus (+capitol) - my birthplace
    • Oklahoma - OKC (+capitol) - visited during a day-trip to WCWS
    • South Carolina - Columbia (+capitol) - multiple times to attend a scholastic journalism camp
    • Tennessee - Nashville - just passing through city
    • Texas - Austin (+capitol) - headquarters of a former employer
    • Utah - Salt Lake City - might not count. Airport layover.
    • West Virginia - on the way to Columbus from Florida. Viewed from the interstate

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Been to Juneau twice — once for a job interview, then on an Inside Passage cruise. The interview was just after cruise season ended, in October ... a totally different city from when the hordes of cruise ship passengers are dumped on downtown. I love southeast Alaska, but a few things just weren't right about the job and the timing of taking it, and it ended up being the right decision to turn it down.

Other capital cities: Phoenix, Springfield, Indianapolis, Lansing, Madison, St. Paul, Des Moines, Jefferson City, Lincoln, Denver, Boise, Salem, Olympia, Salt Lake City, Santa Fe. And in Canada, Victoria, B.C., which is probably the most beautiful capital city I've visited.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

We like to visit college campuses on the road too:

Ohio State, UCLA, Duke, NC State, North Carolina, Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia Tech, Vanderbilt, McGill

Donny in his element likes this.
  9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

State capitals: Birmingham (corporate headquarters of a place I used to work). Phoenix, Sacramento, Denver, Hartford, Dover (my home state!), Boise, Indianapolis, Des Moines, Baton Rouge, Augusta, Annapolis, Boston (of course), Lansing, St. Paul, Jackson, Concord, Santa Fe, Albany, Raleigh, Columbus, Harrisburg, Providence, Nashville, Austin, Salt Lake, Montpelier, Richmond, Madison.

10. Donny in his element

Birmingham, huh?

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Damn Yankees.

Donny in his element likes this.
  12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I've lived in three state capital cities in my life, but have never set foot in an actual capitol building.

Draft saved Draft deleted