1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ouch! Dude got what he deserved.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Maybe I've grossly misinterpreting some of the posts on this thread, but ... are people really arguing it should be OK to have sex with 13-year-old girls?

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

They're teenage girls, dumbass.

3. KP

KP Active Member

Gary Glitter doesn't see the big deal in all of this.

4. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

The wife?

5. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Nope, your not misinterpreting. That's some people's stand.

6. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I haven't seen that argument put forth.

7. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Maybe he didn't use those words, but ...

8. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I think you are confusing whether it's OK or not with whether the government should be regulating it.

There are plenty of things that aren't OK in the world, but there aren't laws regulating all of those things. The argument some people are making is that this is one of the things that the government should not be regulating. Obviously there is disagreement on this point, but to say that anyone here is advocating sex with 13-year-olds seems unnecessarily inflammatory.

To put it another way, a 22-year old who has sex with two underage girls is probably a scumbag. The two consenting girls, in turn, probably have very poor judgment. But I don't think being a scumbag or having very poor judgment should be illegal.

9. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Ok, I probably should just let this go, but anyway.....

Here's some of the things (in addition to sex) that are government regulated based on minimum age: movies, alcohol, cigarettes, drugs, driving, military service.
    Add it up, and that's a lot of regulation on 'not Ok' things for our youth.

And the reason for that is illustrated in your last graf, Pirates. People that young will often tend to have poor judgment because they haven't had opportunity to use that judgment or have experienced situations to know better/make wiser decisions.

Better to protect the young than let them scar themselves for the rest of their life.

10. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I would take movies and cigarettes off that list. Alcohol, drugs, driving and military service I would leave on. The first three because there are possible consequences to others to consider, and military service because an underage person probably isn't qualified.

I'm not a big fan of government laws designed to save people from themselves or from potentially traumatic consensual relationships. I think that's a job for more informal societal institutions.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

She wasn't "involved," so to speak. Other than as a tow truck.

12. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I'm not a big fan of the government dictating behavior, either. But when it comes to protecting children from perverts, I am all for it.

And anyone who would have sex with a 13-year-old is a pervert. Unless, you know, she's just super hot.

Draft saved Draft deleted