1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ouch! Dude got what he deserved.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Aug 14, 2008.

1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Will do.

2. Grimace

Grimace Guest

I have to hand it to SigR. His libertarian theology is fascinating, in an "inside the mind of a serial killer" kind of way.

3. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Sounds as though someone is trying to justify his hard on for the Chinese gymnasts.

4. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

I'd just like to see the reaction the cops had before and after dealing with this nut job.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Would it be possible to rewrite the constitution to say that SigR's fertile mind will be the final arbiter on what's legal and what's not?

Might save a lot of bother with the courts and all.

6. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

I just like that the county slam is in a town called Holden.

And that the man's last name is Cochran.

7. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Well, you got me all worked up. How many unintended pregnancies result from your 'most people reach that point at 13,' which becomes a straight line to a 15 or 16 or 14 or 17 year old in bed with a twentysomething whispering 'oh baby i love you so much don't make me wear the condom i want to feel my skin against yours baby it's so much more real for me that way, damn i love you baby.'
    Seriously, I think the immensely pregnant woman gets a medal for not just finding the biggest knife in the kitchen and chopping away. Would she have been wrong? Well, yeah. But grabbing him by the balls, presumably so he wouldn't flee while she called the cops for the act of STATUTORY RAPE he apparently committed? How is that different from Tom and Joe at the convenience store running after, tackling and then restraining a robber? Those guys are always heroes.

8. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I also think age of consent laws are pretty much a joke. Two people, one or both of whom might not be 18 or 17 or 16 yet, should have the right to engage in a consensual sexual relationship without the government's interference. Whether they or their parents think it is a good idea is something they should work out for themselves. Like SigR, I think 13 or 14 makes more sense.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

100 bucks says you don't have a 13-year-old daughter.

10. Grimace

Grimace Guest

What if it's some 40-year-old douchebag, slimeball making the moves on some 13- or 14-year-old? Some kids just aren't mature enough to deal with an older person.

Then again, some 13- and 14-year-olds are probably mature enough.

But. . .you have to set a limit somewhere. Is 16 or 18 an arbitrary number? Yes. So is 21 for drinking. But age limits are there for a reason. It's a number that most sensible adults agree is a dividing line. It's not perfect, but there needs to be some kind of limit.

11. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Whether I have one or not wouldn't change my mind about the way I think the law should be. I know I'm in the minority, but the way things are now there are too many instances where people can be prosecuted for not doing anything that I consider harmful or wrong. I mean if a 20-year-old is dating a 16-year-old and treating his/her partner well, I don't see putting the older one in jail for having sex.

12. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Seriously, name all the people you know who are 30+ who were 15 or 16 when they met their 22-year-old man of their dreams and are now happily married to them.

Draft saved Draft deleted