1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OU fraternity terminated for racist chant

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 9, 2015.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

For more information, follow the national SAE Twitter account @sae1856 . The "1856" represents the year of founding, of course, back when everything was all right with America.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

And it doesn't appear that it was the first time they sang the song, I didn't see any lyric sheets. My guess it was an "unofficial" house song.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

More heart-warming thoughts from the Chronicle of Higher Education community ...

"I'd think that they should be able to impose sanctions, including dismissal from the uni, under their student code of conduct--but, first I would guess they have to determine exactly who was involved."

4. LongTimeListener

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

My guess is most SAE chapters sang it as well.

If I remember correctly, SAE chapters used to host Old South formals. It's not like they really hid who they are. Not that they are as overt as Kappa Alpha Order.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

An interesting choice of words.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I can't imagine this is the case. SAE is one of the largest national fraternities, I think. Like I said, we had a chapter on campus, one of just five fraternities. They were mostly kids with money - a lot of soccer players and a handful of basketball players, too. And some black guys, of which we had about five total on campus.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Maybe it's just a Big 12 thing.

OU SAE Scandal making its way to UT? - MyFoxAustin | KTBC | Fox 7 Austin | News Weather Sports

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

My brother-in-law, a fairly liberal and absolutely steadfast Democrat, was an SAE at Davidson. I'd bet every dollar I have to my name he never participated in any such singing.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Just saying you start with telling them that's unacceptable. Of course, if they had ignored my protestations, I, as a minority, would not have continued to be a part of an organization that advocated such ignorant views. We did have members who were of African descent so doubt that this would have ever arisen.

11. LongTimeListener

Damn. Now that's the hammer. A verbal warning followed by a resignation.

That would have turned everybody into a non-racist for sure.

... Actually qtlaw's silliness does bring about a question, though: Who turned over the video? That's a righteous dude (or chick).

12. LongTimeListener

Eric Striker, superstar.

Oklahoma football: Eric Striker can't stay silent any longer | News OK

Monday morning, Striker posted a much more subdued video in which he apologized for his language, but not for the substance of his message.

Between those two video messages, though, Striker reached out to a reporter from The Oklahoman and asked to meet so that he could more fully express his feelings — and the feelings of other OU student-athletes — about the racist video, the struggles young black men sometimes face on OU’s campus and his profound desire to be seen as more than a football player.

Despite often being invited to parties because of his athletic prowess — and used to promote and create buzz about those parties — Striker said he’s been singled out and asked who invited him, then told he can stay, “as long as you don’t cause any trouble.”

Striker recalled defensive end Charles Tapper being called the N-word at one fraternity party, and former OU running back David Smith overhearing someone whisper that people at a date party should watch out for Smith, because he might take a girl home and rape her.

Draft saved Draft deleted