1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OU fraternity terminated for racist chant

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Would've pulled out the big guns, huh?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
    YankeeFan, TyWebb and Ace like this.
  2. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

One SAE member stood up in front of his 100-person lecture class today and apologized for not doing enough to fight this kind of thing. A little late, but good to see there are some guys from the house standing up and taking some responsibility.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Never quite got the whole inter-university fraternity thing. I mean, I can understand how a given fraternity at a given school might have a culture that spans the years. But across universities? Color me perplexed.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I would assume you're of kindred sentiments with this poster on the Chronicle of Higher Education forum ...

"... I don't see any data that the individuals caught on camera are being disciplined/expelled."

5. EddieM

EddieM Member

No, I agree. Hence why I said it wasn't indicative. I think some fraternities' overriding philosophies are more pervasive than others, but mostly it seems each campus iteration has its own flavor. In my experience, at least.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Wouldn't Virginia qualify as part of the Antebellum South.

Lots of fraternities have roots there. When I was in school in the south, most of the white fraternities didn't have black members and the southern chapters looked down on the east coast and northern chapters that did. It was even worse among the black fraternities, one took a white pledge and I don't how he survived the hazing. It was brutal and that was 20 something years ago.

7. EddieM

EddieM Member

Do the fraternities you mentioned have roots there from pre-Civil War times? Or did they start afterwards?

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

That's a subject of some debate.

My fraternity, Kappa Sigma, has some claims to pre-Civil War founding and also some claims to post.

I think they aren't the only with conflicting histories as well.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

At Missouri, Kappa Alpha Order had a cannon by their front porch and often had the rebel flag up. SAE didn't have a racist rep there, but a rep as a buncha dickbags. As for mine, we partied with the Mu's

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Damn, what a mess. Haven't followed this story all day but I'm guessing the kid standing up on the bus has since been identified and is packing for a one-way trip to Siberia.

11. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I was rushed by the KAs at my college pretty hard (they were the jock fraternity at my university) and yes, they were the Rebel flag-waving "house."

I chose the one founded in Vermont in 1856. Give me a chapter charter pulled for serving underage anyday over this shit. Even in Oklahoma, those kids are done for life.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted