1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OU fraternity terminated for racist chant

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So is this an Oklahoma SAE thing or is that kind of thinking prevalent through that fraternity?

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I don't think they made up that chant on the spot, if that's what you're asking.

Ace likes this.
  3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

History of SAE - Sigma Alpha Epsilon

Of all existing national social fraternities today, Sigma Alpha Epsilon is the only national fraternity founded in the antebellum South.

Definitely something to be proud of.

Ace likes this.
  4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The SAEs at my school had black guys in it.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

6. Steak Snabler

Kappa Alpha was the really racist frat at my school, but it was a matter of degree. SAE was known more for losing its charter for a few years after several members were caught dealing pot and coke out of the house.

7. LongTimeListener

Did we go to the same school? The Kappa Alpha house at my college proudly hung the rebel flag.

EddieM likes this.
  8. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Read one person on Twitter who said the same chant was used at the Texas SAE chapter in the early 2000s. Now, there's the reliability of Twitter to consider, but I'm guessing that OU isn't the only school where that chant has been sung.

9. Steak Snabler

SAE was also founded at Alabama, which has what is historically the most racist and segregated Greek system of any major university in the country.

10. EddieM

EddieM Member

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

That's despicable. As a minority in a fraternity during my college days, if that were to have occurred in our house, I would have said that's not cool. SAE at our university was the biggest, loudest fraternity. However, they did have Eddie Money play at their house on a Friday night, so there was that.

12. LongTimeListener

Maybe all the frat bros took the newly approved Oklahoma high school history curriculum.

Draft saved Draft deleted