1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ottaway Newspapers Inc. lays off 5 percent of workforce

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Angola!, May 29, 2008.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Well, this got awkward.

2. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

No, awkward is pooping your pants in an elevator with 12 people and having the power go out, leaving you stranded for three hours.

In August.

In Texas.

With no air conditioning.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Sorry Lance. Not you personally. I meant the Ogden Newspaper chain (a chain of which I'm a survivor). May you hope the tentacles never reach your neck of the country.
    Am sure you are personally a man with all three traits -- or hope you are.

4. KP

KP Active Member

5. Read and weep

Read and weep Member

Word is that the Herald-Record in Middletown, NY axed both of its New York City writers. Also got rid of the managing editor and a news writer.

6. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

I heard that, too. All three of the laid-off writers were columnists, and so probably not covered by the union contract there.
    It's the Times Herald-Record, btw (though given that it's becoming a shell of its former self, maybe the shorter name is appropriate).

7. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Yep, one was the one they call the "liberal columnist."

So much for the liberal media.

8. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I like the idea of these layoffs. I mean, when your paper is struggling, it makes sense to dilute the quality of the product by piling on the responcibilities of those too young/too stupid to know better.

I can't wait until it's one-man departments for all the major papers around the country. That will be terrific!

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Loved the quote by the publisher: "It's not like we're losing money."

So if you're not losing money, then why do you need to cut staff? Even if you're breaking even, wouldn't you want a product that people would want to buy?

Oh wait, we're talking about the newspaper business here.

10. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

This was company-wide, I don't think it was the publisher's decision. And he's got a pretty good reputation, as publishers go.
    I kind of read that as an F-You to his bosses up the chain.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I wonder if Rupert is stuck with these papers now. Except for Middletown, and to a lesser extend New Bedford and Hyannis, they're smaller papers. The market isn't exactly hot for that right now.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I understand that. I just wish there was a company with execs with the balls to tell their shareholders that the industry is in flux, and that a 15 percent profit margin isn't so bad while trying to figure out a whole new way of doing business on the fly.

Draft saved Draft deleted