1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ottaway Newspapers Inc. lays off 5 percent of workforce

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Angola!, May 29, 2008.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

A buddy of mine said the Mail Tribune announced a round of layoffs today, but I can't find anything online.

Any confirmation on this? Does it affect sports or the newsroom?

http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080529/NEWS07/805290345

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Re: Layoffs in Medford (Ore.)?

I couldn't find anything on their site, but I did find this in their forums:

http://forums.mailtribune.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?nav=messages&tsn=1&webtag=mm-general&tid=319

Eleven laid off and four out of the newsroom, obviously not that many in the grand scheme of things.

I'm not sure how many folks work there or if any are out of sports, though.

3. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

It seems like the closer you get to a coast, the more buy outs and layoffs there are lately. Medford, all those Bay area papers. The Times, the Post, Tampa, St. Pete...Stay away from the water!!!

(Yeah, I know Medford is inland, but it's still a coastal state...).

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Medford has a link up now: http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080529/NEWS07/805290345

Apparently the layoffs were part of Ottoway Newspapers Inc. reducing its workforce by 5 percent.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Re: Ottoway Newspapers Inc. lays off 5 percent of workforce

Ottaway used to be a decent chain -- until it sold off a lot of its talented smaller papers like Mankato and Traverse City...

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

Re: Ottoway Newspapers Inc. lays off 5 percent of workforce

any place with paid retirement is still a decent chain in my book.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

true dat.. but it used to be a very good small/midsize chain -- think Ogden with principles, character and integrity

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

awesome.

9. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Is that company-wide? Shit. I used to work at one, with lots of good people.
    Rupert's been trying to unload those papers since he bought Dow Jones. If this is true I guess this means he decided to make them more "attractive" to buyers.
    It was still a decent chain not long ago. It's being scattered to the winds now.

10. Editude

Editude Active Member

A while back the six-person sports staff in Medford was down to four, and I don't know if Tim Trower (the SE) was able to fill either/both spots. Area is growing, and sports (preps, local college, golf, outdoors, bowling) are a big part of people's lives in a pleasant place to live. I hope this place hangs in there.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I just got word that the layoffs effect Medford, Ashland and Medford's Nickel (not sure what that is). Also, 12 open positions will not be filled. The laid off workers received a severance package and 2 months of benefits.

12. Lance Ogden GP

Lance Ogden GP New Member

Mr. Slappy, if that is your real name, why do you spread hate in this manner? What have I ever done to you to make you leave this kind of post, dragging my good name through the mud?

I look forward to your reply.

Draft saved Draft deleted