1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OTL reporting new evidence Pete Rose bet on baseball as player

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Jun 22, 2015.

1. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

If he bet against his team that day, and still had bets on those other games, he is a bigger degenerate than anyone I've met. And I knew some guys who would bet on ants racing on the sidewalk.

2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Wouldn't vs Pete mean the booking is going against Pete, so him betting on his own team.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

In 1986, Pete Rose was a 45 year old first baseman with a lateral range of about three inches, who played 72 games, hit .219 and blasted zero (that's 0) home runs, so it's pretty arguable he was effectively throwing the game every time he wrote his own name on the lineup card.

Killick likes this.
  4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Loved the Dodgers growing up as a kid in suburban Pittsburgh and saw this shitty team twice when they came to Three Rivers Stadium in July. They actually swept this series and it was part of one of their rare winning streaks.

5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

On April 30, 1986, I distinctly remember covertly setting the VHS to record Bizarre on our local independent station the following Saturday night in the faint hope I would get 3 seconds of boobies.

The hard part was flipping the channels before bedtime on Saturday night to ensure it was on "11" without actually turning the TV on to verify it.

I was being far sneakier and shifter on that day than Pete Rose was. Glad I didn't get a lifetime ban for, um, self-fulfillment.

Donny in his element likes this.
  6. BitterYoungMatador2

April 30, 1986 I was playing out the string in fourth grade and doing what I could to not draw the ire of Mrs. Ulakovic, who was known to toss a pupil desk when she was pissed.

7. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

When I was going to junior college in Santa Barbara County in the late 1980s, I had a classmate who worked at a local deli owned by a guy who played minor-league ball with Rose back in the day. My classmate knew this because the guy and his wife would always point it out to anyone at the deli whether they cared or not. Of course, when the whole betting allegations and the investigation merged, the deli guy was always ready to talk to the local media telling anyone who would listen that Pete was innocent, he was being railroaded, the guys who were accusing him were just trying to make names for themselves, etc., etc., etc.

8. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

My father went to Reds game with his nephew in the early 70's. A couple hours prior to first pitch as they walked through downtown Cincinnati, they hear a door open in a nearby alleyway and see a guy walk out. They were astonished to see Pete Rose. Rose walked back out to the street, and they said 'hi' and something to the effect of 'have a good game today.' He said something like 'thanks guys,' got in a car and left.

They didn't know exactly what he was doing in that back alleyway. There wasn't a public restaurant or club or anything like that back there. They didn't go back to investigate. They've been convinced since the gambling stuff came out that he was paying a visit to a bookie that day and was betting for a long time before he was a manager.

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Well, at least he wasn't conducting back alley abortions.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Its been my contention for decades that this gambling thing is the best thing that could have happened to Pete Rose, extreme attention whore. Do you ever hear anything today about Brooks Robinson, Lou Brock, Willie McCovey? Stargell, Bench, Morgan? This shit keeps Rose in the 'news' perpetually, while those other HOFers have faded to obscurity.

11. BitterYoungMatador2

Stargell's also dead, so there's that.

poindexter likes this.
  12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I think Pete Rose needs to start dating Kim Kardashian.

swingline likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted