1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OTL reporting new evidence Pete Rose bet on baseball as player

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Jun 22, 2015.

1. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Steve Trout is not Mike Trout's dad. Mike Trout's dad never played in the major leagues -- he played a few years in the minors. Steve is, however, Dizzy Trout's son.

Nitpicking aside (also -- Brett Butler played for the '86 Tribe, not Billy -- but I'm sure that was just a typo) -- I really love these posts. Please keep it coming -- I'd love to see a breakdown of another random day from 1985 or 1986 -- you are definitely catching the zeitgeist of mid-80s baseball.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Apologies for the few factual errors. And yes, I meant Brett Butler. Conflated with Billy.

3. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

What turned this into the random games from the mid 80s and various stats thread? And yes Steve Trout is not Mike's dad. Steve is from Mich. Mike is from NJ.

4. Songbird

One of the betting slips is from April 30, 1986. These are games from that day.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I dunno. Fuck Pete Rose.

6. cjericho

Got it. Didn't read anything, just saw a little on espn. Did it say which teams he bet and how much?

7. Songbird

8. cjericho

He loved the action. had some degenerate gambler friends like that. when I gambled I tried to find one or two games liked the best, maybe a parlay or reverse. but when you start betting 5, 6, 7 games a night kind of shows you have a problem.

9. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

You guys have it easy. I live in "Free Pete!" central, Cincinnati. Slackjaws here are so slow to realize the Pete's been playing them for the last 20 years. From claiming he didn't gamble, to he did but not on baseball, to okay he did but never the Reds, to okay he did but never against the Reds, to he bet only as a manager, to...

Still waiting for them to come to their senses and jump off his bandwagon. Reading comments on the Enquirer website about this story is surreal.

10. cjericho

There are some of those dopes everywhere. On Saturday was talking about ARod's hr and two buddies were saying how he'll never get in the Hall because he cheated. I said he did cheat, but he was one of the stupid ones who got caught. We don't know how many others used and got away with it. Both guys are Yankee fans. Then they say how Pete Rose should be in and will be in because he didn't bet as a player. I tell them it's the one rule everyone in baseball knows not to break. Couple hours ago send them a text 'so much for Pete Rose not gambling as a player.'

11. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Funny how every time noises are made about reinstating Pete Rose, something new comes out.

Doesn't matter, because I doubt the BBWAA would vote him in anyway.

12. Songbird

So did he bet $2,000 against the Reds on April 30, 1986?

The day he went 0 for 3 and the Reds lost 8-0 to a guy named Jay Tibbs, who threw a complete-game 4-hitter?

What is the " ... vs. Pete" mean? I can see most of the other games except for Cincy-Montreal, if that's what "vs. Pete" is supposed to mean.

Draft saved Draft deleted