1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OTL links $3M of Mickelson's money to gambling, money laundering

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Jun 29, 2015.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Wowsers.

Nearly $3 million transferred from golfer Phil Mickelson to an intermediary was part of 'an illegal gambling operation'

Gregory Silveira of La Quinta reached an agreement with prosecutors and pleaded guilty to three counts of money laundering of funds from an unnamed "gambling client" of his between February 2010 and February 2013. Sources familiar with the case said Mickelson, who was not named in court documents, is the unnamed "gambling client." Silveira is scheduled to be sentenced Oct. 5 before U.S. District Court Judge Virginia A. Phillips and faces up to 60 years in prison, though the sentence will likely be far shorter.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Is that it? Just $3M? Mickelson is an admitted long-time degenerate. The money laundering, however, isn't a good look.

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I wonder ... did Phil owe this guy $2.75M and that started the money laundering train rolling?

It's not illegal to have gambling debts, but Silveira doesn't sound like good company to keep. Probably not wise to owe him that much money, either.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

If OTL has its hooks into the Vegas scene, we might see a revival of those questions about the timing of the switch to Callaway right before the Ryder Cup.

Draft saved Draft deleted