1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OTL: Gambling on youth football

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NoOneLikesUs, May 2, 2011.

1. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/news/story?id=6451796

"You only cover us when drug dealers gamble on the outcome of our games!"

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

This is a great story because it says almost as much about the bystanders as it does the gamblers. The parents let this happen because they think they'll get rich off their kids one day.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

So if a kid performs poorly, I guess they get slammed to the ground and electricuted, right?

4. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

This was a really good job by OTL. Best part was the league official who said that anyone caught gambling would be permanently banned from the league. Then he was a bit speechless when he was shown on video "holding" money at one of the games.

5. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

what the?

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

That five gallon bucket is not for drinking water, kid.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

This is yet another indication that Americans have way too much disposable income. I bet this did not occur in the Soviet Union under Lenin or Stalin or in China under Mao.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That is a damn fine story. I have to give it up to the league director, though, he is caught on camera and just stays smooooooooooth.

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Well at least if there is money riding on the games it explains the parents acting like idiots at the games....

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Oh, horseshit. I covered you kids when appeals court judges gambled on the outcome of your games!

11. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Latest line: Bumblefuck Tire and Auto -3.5 HICKTOWN SHEDS AND TRAILERS

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Happened to see it yesterday (first OTL I've seen in years) and the woman reporter did a fantastic job...she just kept hammering the gamblers time and time again. I can't believe the "bailbondsman" didn't threaten to cap her ass.

Draft saved Draft deleted