1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Other than Michael Jordan, who is the best NBA player since 1990?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

No one should ever be embarrassed to "only win 3 times in 8 attempts." That's like saying Jordan won "only 6 times in 15 attempts."

Only one team can win every year, and it always irritates me that players (in any sport) who are always knocked for not winning a title are immediately knocked for winning "only one" after they win their first (like Peyton Manning). Winning a championship is hard. One should be enough.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's Kobe. No question.
    If Kobe had LeBron's supporting cast and LeBron had Kobe's - Cleveland has a ring and I don't know if LA has one.

3. Kobe DID have LeBron's supporting cast.....and he couldn't get out of the first round.

LeBron, meanwhile, took the 2007 team with Larry Hughes as his second best player to finals round.

Before Gasol came to the Lakers and Bynum, Lamar Odom was Kobe's second best player.

Lamar Odom was a helluva lot better a player than Larry Hughes.

You may want to rethink that last statement

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Chris Bosh.

5. He's no Daniel Nava but Kevin Durant belongs on the list.

And above Pippen.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Gasol is an outstanding player, certainly one of the top 10 in the league, and should have been the NBA Finals MVP.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Durant will be very high on that list in a few years. But, you can't put him there based on a couple seasons.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If you had one player you would want to take the final shot, Kobe or LeBron, I would guess than 9 out of 10 would take Kobe.

I've never seen the determination in LeBron that I've seen in Kobe for quite some time. Granted, LeBron is still young and that could come very soon, but it's not there yet.

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

http://lakersblog.latimes.com/lakersblog/2010/07/michael-jordan-proclaims-kobe-bryant-is-better-than-lebron-james.html

10. Mizzou - by that logic about Durant you should drop James down a few notches on your list. If he gets hurt - how much better would LeBron's career be than Penny Hardaway's?

Other names that should be on the list:

Buck Williams (played half his career before 1990 though)
    Clyde Drexler (also played half his career before 1990)
    Dikembe Mutombo (nobody wants to sex the Mutumbo? I'd much rather start a team with him than Pippen)
    Grant Hill when healthy was also much better than Pippen.

And if Derrick Coleman had Daniel Nava's heart - he'd be an all-timer.

11. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

My votes:
    1) Shaq
    2) Hakeem (I was a huge rockets fanboy back in his heyday)
    3) Kobe
    4) Duncan
    5) Lebron (I hate it, but he's up here and could climb higher)

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Buck Williams? No love for Otis fing Thorpe?

Draft saved Draft deleted