1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Other than Michael Jordan, who is the best NBA player since 1990?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

No love for Big Country?

2. If Daniel Nava played basketball - he'd be on the list

3. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Not a bad list but I think Pippen is better than Iverson, Dirk and Pierce. He was a freak on the defensive end and while a complimentary player, he was the best compliment to the best player. His length covered for many of Michael's defensive gambles almost like a great defensive center. The beauty of Pippen's game is that he could shut down both Nowitzki or Pierce.

One question? No Michael Olowankandi?

4. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Pippen has always been overrated, starting when he was named one of the 50 all-time great players. When he stayed on the bench while Toni Kukoc knocked down the game-winner in 1994, that's all I ever needed to know about Scott Pippen. He was a complimentary player that happened to be at the right place at the right time.

Maybe I'm nuts, but should Wade be on that list?

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I was always fond of John "Hot Plate" Williams.

As for the main question, I thinks it's between Kobe and Olajuwon.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I'd say that says more about your player evaluation than Pippen. Nothing else he did in his entire career mattered, just that one moment? Silly.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'll admit that 11-20 was a hell of a lot harder to come up with than the top 10. I'm definitely in the camp that Pippen is overrated. Does he deserve to go to the HOF? Of course, but he was a pretty shitty teammate when he didn't have Jordan to keep him in check. I think he finished in the top five of MVP voting only once.

8. Wendell Gee

Wendell Gee Member

I'd go ...

1. Shaq
    2. Hakeem
    3. Kobe
    4. Duncan

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Twice. And he is 39th all-time in MVP voting shares.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I'll second that motion.

It's also worth noting that arguably the Nos. 1 and 3 players of the last 20 years (and 2 of the Top 10 all-time) could only win an NBA title 3 times in 8 attempts.

Food for thought for those (Hi, Starman!) who are already proclaiming the Heat a failure for any season in which they do not win it all.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If Fisher stays in LA, the Lakers should be the favorites next season.

If LeBron-Wade-Bosh don't produce 3-4 titles, it will be a failure.

12. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Maybe, but it also goes to show that he was never the man on his own team.

Draft saved Draft deleted