1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Other Teams Receiving Votes.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Apr 23, 2007.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Alas, there is no dittohead meme so useless and arbitrary that Yawn will not latch onto it like Rush clutching the last chicken wing.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

If presidents were slotted like the NCAA Tournament teams, Martin Van Buren would get a 16 seed. He'd get a first-round game against someone like George Washington or Abraham Lincoln, a president who personifies America. We know all about George Washington and Abraham Lincoln. But Martin Van Buren? Uh, he might have held the door open for a little old lady once, or bought some Girl Scout cookies (if they sold them back then).

So why would a biography of Martin Van Buren catch my eye? Well, I attended Van Buren High School. I want to know why in the world a small, flat, one-stop-sign town in northwest Ohio would name itself after a No. 16-seed president.

All I know about Martin Van Buren is that he had Grandpa Munster hair and some crazy sideburns. And really, I think people might confuse him with Chester A. Arthur, another 16-seed president with some distinctive muttonchops. And there just has to be more to Martin Van Buren then being confused with Chester A. Arthur. Seriously, does anyone even talk about Martin Van Buren in the first place? Then to think that someone might finally be talking about Martin Van Buren, and they were really talking about Chester A. Arthur. If I were Martin Van Buren I would come back as a ghost and rattle some windows anytime someone confused me with Chester A. Arthur.

At least I won’t be confusing Martin Van Buren with Chester A. Arthur anymore. I learned that Martin Van Buren created the modern political system by building up the Democrats; held fast to his beliefs of limited federal government, states’ rights, and protection of the people from the powerful; and rejected calls for a national bank and independent treasury.

So take that, Chester A. Arthur! I think Martin Van Buren just moved up to a 15 seed, or maybe even 14. Although to tell the truth, I’m not 100 percent sure if my high school is really named after Martin Van Buren. Might as well be, though. I would have hated going to Chester A. Arthur High School.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

In the episode of Pinky and the Brain, Brainy the Poo, Al Gore is parodied in the episode with the animators drawing him imposed on Eeyore's body; thereby making the satirical parallel that Al Gore is just as monotonous, pessimistic and depressing as Eeyore. He is also shown to be full of hot air.

4. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

16 seeds: Dubya, Buchanan, the guy who died in 28 days, Carter

At least Nixon had a decent, productive foreign policy.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nope, Dubya gets like an 11 or 12 -- his two terms, however divisive/triumphant (your view), bought him the last at-large bid of a BCS conference

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Hmm. I fixed my excerpt after the fact. Stupid quote function.

7. Clever username

He shouldn't get credit for the American people being as dumb as he is.

8. Clever username

Yeah, I thought I'd help you out there.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

And he beats a 5 seed (eisenhower? wilson?) in the first round.

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

William Henry Harrison. You can't possibly seed him 16. He did a better job in death than Hoover and Andrew Johnson did in life.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

On the other hand, he didn't fuck up...

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Since the field consists only of 43, there are no 16 seeds -- each region goes only 10 deep, with 3 play-in games.

Actually, the field is 42, since Cleveland was prez twice.

Draft saved Draft deleted