1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OT: Celebrities you think who may be actual, down-to-earth, good people

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, Aug 22, 2007.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Mimico, Ontario native Brendan Shanahan.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

now that I think about it, he wouldn't do an advance interview with yours truly when he did a stand-up gig at BYH U. in the fall of '94. WTF? He was Operaman back then.

It's OK. The show wasn't that good anyway.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

A few years back I worked with a guy who restored muscle cars and then showed them off in mags like Hot Rod. One day he got a call from someone who said they were representing a guy who wanted to buy a car he was showing. He gave the guy a price and was told that the buyer himself would call the next day to arrange payment and shipping.

The next day his phone rings. "Hi, my name is Jay Leno and I'm calling about a car...."

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't know how down to earth they are but I have respect for celebs like George Clooney who use their celebrity to generate news coverage for stories like Darfur and the like which wouldn't get much play without their involvement.

5. Board Stiff

Board Stiff Member

How does this thread get to three pages with no mention of Tom Hanks?

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I didn't meet him, but I know a guy who chauffered around Stevie Wonder one day. Wonder sat in the front seat of an SUV next to the driver and had his pals in the back, and then joked around the whole time with the driver. They stopped and bought a new harmonica, and then Wonder gave him his own little mini-show while driving around the city. Also joked about how he wanted to drive. Really, he was about as cool as you could ever imagine.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Springsteen.

Jon Bon Jovi.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

<<<<<---------------

10. ARD

ARD Member

A second for Travolta. He was filming near some friends' house in New Orleans, met my daughter (then 12ish) and her friend and cordially gave them autographs. And driving by the next day, he rolled down his limo window and waved while they were riding bikes on the sidewalk.

Muhammad Ali filmed a movie in my hometown in the '70s; he was very accessible and funny.

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Jeff Foxworthy has to be on this list somewhere. He has a local reputation for being very generous.
    Ditto for Smoltz, whose civic deeds are well-documented. There's a story from a few years back of him stopping to help some stranded motorists, ultimately giving them a ride home.

I'd love to hang out with Montgomery Gentry. I just get the feeling there isn't anyone they won't drink a beer with.

Antithesis of this list: Harrison Ford.

12. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

I understand Troy Gentry is a good guy to kill caged animals with.

Draft saved Draft deleted