1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oscar nominations

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, Jan 22, 2008.

1. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

The editing choices (and the near-Scooby Doo-esque ending) killed ATONEMENT for me. I applaud the effort, but weaving both circular storytelling and RASHOMON-like bits of storytelling into it (meaning, the same story told/seen from different perspectives)...it just didn't work.

Told more in a straight line, in this instance, you'd have a considerably better film, even with the ending the way it was. I am glad the "wacky" editing didn't get in the way of Briony's performance in the first act. Wow. Just wow. Perhaps the best child actress performance since Anna Paquin in THE PIANO.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I'll take Lindsay Lohan in The Parent Trap.

3. No good.
    Very bad fencing.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Just finished with Cronenberg's Eastern Promises.

Has a ring of numerous other films.

One steambath scene stood out, but I have not any idea why Viggo was nominated for an Oscar. He looked cool (like a 49-year-old Ed Harris might have), but it was a lifeless performance. marked by his monotone voice bouncing between Russian and English the whole way.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Almost as bad as Forrest Gump over Pulp Fiction and Shakespeare in Love over Saving Private Ryan...

6. Shakespeare In Love is, start to finish, a better film.
    The middle third of SPR is a hash, and the framing device is a gallon of stupid syrup in a four-ounce cup.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Shakespeare in Love was a great film.
    Saving Private Ryan was an instant classic.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

or Titanic over LA Confidential.

It goes on and on.

You can make yourself sick.

9. Thank you, TNT Marketing Department.

10. Simon_Cowbell

No matter all of fb's bloviating, what you say is true.

11. Or not.
    SPR is a great opening, a good closing, and a whole bunch of nothing in between. The dialogue is wooden and the framing device -- "Tell me I;ve been a GOOD man" -- was embarrassing. I never heard a single WWII vet say anything that sappy and I grew up in a neighborhood full of them. Spielberg's working out his Daddy issues -- again -- and feeding us our green vegetables. Should have stuck to sharks.
    Meanwhile, this year, looks like Radiohead got snubbed for TWBB
    and now I wish I'd seen "Once."

12. Simon_Cowbell

You are hilarious.

Ridiculous, hair-splitting criticisms.

Draft saved Draft deleted