1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oscar nominations

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Me too.

2. Simon_Cowbell

No Country for Old Men will be the best Best Picture winner in 14 years (Schindler's).

For that matter, There Will Be Blood would also fit that bill.

To, me, though, the cinematography, perfomances and story are better in NCFOM.

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I don't often think this, but I can't agree more.

4. It's not a question of spoon-feeding. It's a question of storytelling. Even non-linear has to have a logic, and this movie was shot artfully and written inartfully and it really bugged me, because Day-Lewis's performance is going to be one people talk about for 100 years. It's epic.
    I didn't see did Radiohead get nominated for the score, because it was really compelling?

5. Ditto

6. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

I think NCFOM has to win, if for no other reason than the Coens are owed a major makeup call by the Academy. Picking The English Patient over Fargo in 1996 is still one of the all-time bonehead Best Picture votes.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Very true.

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Haven't yet seen NCFOM or Blood, but they're on my list to watch before the Oscars. Michael Clayton was thoroughly enjoyable, but I'll be damned if I thought it was nomination worthy, let alone Oscar worthy.

Atonement was disjointed, as someone else mentioned, but it tied together neatly in almost a Sixth Sense fashion at the end, and the three versions of the main character were very well chosen. Kiera Knightley looked anorexic, BTW, and sorry, but I didn't see Oscar in her performance.

I'm intrigued every time I see a trailer for Away from Her, but it looks f-ing depressing, particularly since my parents' health is starting to slide, and I'm not sure I could handle it. So I've procrastinated.

And damn, no love for Evan Almighty. Somebody's going to Hell ...

9. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

I definitely think Atonement and Michael Clayton are the weakest of the five nominees.

It's also possible that NCFOM and TWBB will cancel each other out, kind of like having two Heisman candidates on the same team, opening the door for Juno to win. But those top three are all exceptional films and any of them would be worthy winners.

10. Simon_Cowbell

I simply don't think ANYONE will vote for Juno.

Ellen Page has a better chance, and she doesn't have much of a chance.

11. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Really? I think Michael Clayton absolutely deserves to be there, even in such a strong year. It's just a textbook example of how to make a great film without using a bunch of explosions or an obvious emotional device.

I've seen everything nominated for the major stuff, and Atonement was the one that left me cold. I'm glad it at least didn't get a director nom, since uninspired direction was its biggest problem. I think Diving Bell probably would have been a better fit in the Best Picture category as well.

Agree with those who say TWBB and NCFOM are the two heavyweights but No Country is stronger. TWBB is largely about one performance -- and rightfully so -- but No Country is more well-rounded.

Overall, I was pretty cool with the nominations. I'd have liked to have seen J.K. Simmons in the supporting category, but Juno got plenty of love, which was nice to see. And the field in supporting is pretty damned strong. When Philip Seymour Hoffman is the weak link, that's saying something.

12. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I agree. I LOVE Juno, but no way can you vote for it over the other two. In another year, possibly. This year, absolutely not.

Draft saved Draft deleted