1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oscar nominations

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

No love for Lumet or Hoffman for "Before the Devil Knows You're Dead"? A surprise.

2. Oh, and Laura Linney makes five.

3. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

The fact that Gordon Pinsent did not get an Actor nomination for Away From Her is a major snub. His work in the movie deserved recognition as did director Sarah Polley. Keira Knightley and James MacAvoy also got snubbed for Atonenment too.

Baffles me why Cate Blanchett got a nod. Happy for Ellen Page and Casey Affleck though.

Based on the overall nominations, I think Away From Her was snubbed big time.

4. Into The Wild was basically ignored, and that sucks. Emile Hirsch was fantastic and I thought Sean Penn would get some love. Major snub for one of the top three movies of the year, IMO.

Good to see that Once - my favorite film of the year - got nominated for Original Song.

Like with Sideways and Little Miss Sunshine, I'll be openly rooting for Juno, but I'll probably be disappointed again.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Ruby Dee is a surprise. Cate Blanchett for Elizabeth is, too. Also - rewarding Jason Reitman for Juno is a joke when Joe Wright made Atonement. I mean, come on. Comedies might be hard to make. But they're not hard to direct.

No shocker with Michael Clayton. Just a terrific, professional piece of work.

And Paul Thomas Anderson has officially arrived. His ego can't get any bigger, but he's a good guy at heart, and good for him on this.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I could see Ruby Dee upsetting Blanchett in the supporting actress category...

7. Supporting Actress is wide open. I think the Dylan movie -- which I loved -- may just be too weird, even though CB was the best thing in it. Ruby Dee's got a lot going for her. I could see a win there.
    And Alma, while I take your point vis a vis comedies and drama, to me anyway, Atonement was a formulaic bore, a Merchant-Ivory starter kit. Juno, at least, was sprightly and moved. Atonement just lay there, marinating in its own artiness.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Polley got nominated for Best Screenplay.

I agree with you on Pinsent but I suspect he's virtually unknown in the U.S. so that wouldn't be a sexy choice.

Gordon Who???

"Away from Her" was a terrific flick but in the scheme of things I'm not sure how wide the release was.

Christie will get the nod because she's Julie Christie and she may never do another movie. Besides, her acting was breathtakingly understated. As someone wrote she didnt "play" a person with Alzheimer's.

Anyway, it's the Oscars. Lots to do with Hollywood hype but beyond that, not a helluva lot to do with filmmaking.

9. Cansportschick

JR, Polley should have gotten a nod for director too. While I can understand the that it could of had limited release, I still don't agree that just because Pinsent is not known to people States side, that constitutes as the reason he should not have gotten a nod. In my opinion, his performance was far better than some of the actual nominees.

10. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Not a very big name list for this year's batch of Academy Awards. Hopefully the Grammys will be better.

11. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

I saw ATONEMENT last night, and I was left lukewarm with it. For me, what killed it/didn't help it at all was the editing. I just feel like it'd be a better movie if it were cut differently. I won't go into the storyline for the benefit of those who haven't seen it, but the little girl was absolutely wonderful, in spite of how it all fell apart later.

For me, THERE WILL BE BLOOD absolutely trounces everything out there and IMO, is one of the best American movies made in a really, really long time. I've always been a big fan of PTA, but BLOOD left me speechless. I'm sure it'll get a wider release in the theatres now, so don't deny yourselves the chance to see an American classic on the big screen.

12. Cansportschick

That's what makes this year more interesting for the Oscars.

Draft saved Draft deleted